load carrying bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would really like a bakfiets!!!

botchjob

Veteran
I've been looking into the same thing recently and there are some really interesting utility bikes available now. The Extracycle looks pretty nifty although i've read reports that the add-on kit can feel a little unstable. The factory models might be better. Kona have also recently released a model called the 'Ute' which looks pretty sturdy.

I've got a second nipper on the way so have been trying to find a bike which can carry two kids safely so i can do the nursery drop off and continue with my daily commute. It looks like it will be a choice between an adapted version of one of the above, or a Dutch-type bike with seats front and back like this one

personalbikechild2.jpg

I guess i wouldn't have much street cred with something like that but at least i'd still be on a bike. Does anyone have any experience/solutions of carrying two kids?

Tharg2007

Veteran
various workbikes here the yuba and the one less car are some of my faves although i would also love a bakfiets
also some more here and the bakfiets here .
The christiania is also nice.

I love workbikes, been looking at hem allot recently and thinking how much I would love one, I think these will be the future for allot of short trips and deliveries once fuel/tax/cars etc become a total waste of time.

PrettyboyTim

botchjob said:
Does anyone have any experience/solutions of carrying two kids?

I've not carried two kids in it, but I do have a two-child trailer at home, and I'd definitely recommend it.

One of the nice things about the trailer is that you never have to worry about it falling over while loading or unloading - you can just lie your bike flat if need be and the trailer is unaffected. Despite having a trailer I often use a rear child seat instead (it means I don't have to go back home to drop the trailer off before heading off to work) but I don't fancy trying to get two children off child seats on a bike. You wouldn't be able to hold or catch the bike if it got knocked over while you were putting one child in or out; it sounds rather precarious.

One of the lovely things about child trailers is that motorists tend to be *really* considerate - they'll stop just to wave you across a crossroads, depsite the fact that they've got priority - that kind of thing. I've never been treated so nicely as when I've had the child trailer!

The main downside is that it's quite bulky. Not a problem on the road, but it can be a pain when it comes to storing it etc. I think the nicer/more expensive ones aren't as bad sizewise, but I've got a £60 steel monster from eBay, and it's not small!

I have a Pashley Delibike (single speed / rod brakes) whichtakes a whole supermarket trolley in the basket!

Light and bulky - Delibike

Heavy and bulky - Trailer

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
One of the suggestions mentioned in the C+ article was a Brompton. I saw one with one those touring panniers yesterday, and it was massive - big enough for any shopping I'd want to do, so maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Top Bottom