Loading the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

Thanks for all the advice, tried loading the bike today and I was very surprised, you were right again , I dont need the front panniers.
Tent fits on the luggage rack with Sleeping bag and inflating mat above it (heaviest item tent on bottom) held on with bungees. I have put the sleeping bag and mat in a dry bag to protect them and keep them dry,Pots , plate and cup in handlebar bag, then clothes , cooker, etc in the paniers and i still have space left. Took the bike out for a spin fully loaded and was surprised how little effect the equipment made.
On the minus side thought I would try the cooker and it is knackered so will have to get a new one.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Any room for clothes???

andym

Über Member
Why would you put your pots and plate in the handlebar bag? I don't use one, but I think they are primarily for stuff you need en route or valuables.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

andym said:
Why would you put your pots and plate in the handlebar bag? I don't use one, but I think they are primarily for stuff you need en route or valuables.
May well put them in the panniers, just got to see what room is available . Interesting tghing is that the tent, sleeping bag and self inflating bed all fitted on the rear rack.

Randochap

Senior hunter
delt1c said:
Thanks for all the advice, tried loading the bike today and I was very surprised, you were right again , I dont need the front panniers.

I'd beg to differ. Front panniers are not just "extra room." They distribute weight properly. A bike loaded only on the back will not exhibit good handling characteristics.

Loaded, well-balanced front panniers on lowrider racks will turn a wobbly, shimmy-prone bicycle into a wonderful experience. It will track better and corner on rails.

CycleTourer

Veteran
Randochap said:
I'd beg to differ. Front panniers are not just "extra room." They distribute weight properly. A bike loaded only on the back will not exhibit good handling characteristics.

Loaded, well-balanced front panniers on lowrider racks will turn a wobbly, shimmy-prone bicycle into a wonderful experience. It will track better and corner on rails.

I whole heartily agree! A rear only loaded touring bike is a pig to ride on any steep gradient as you will be pulling wheelies uphill with light steering and on the downhill any fast cornering will cause the bike to wallow in the bends due to the in balance of weight distribution along the length of the bike.

jags

Guru
ok im going to differ with both of you even though your experts,i have loaded panniers only on the back plus barbag,the bike handles ok.think it depends on the driver.
touring bikes with there long wheelbase and strong stayes,will take unbalanced loads no problem,surly one of you guy's have popped down to the shops with one pannier and maybe a barbag,bet the bike handled okay.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've always found rear only panniers fine but, then again, I've always found rear and front fine too. They're both okay depending on what amount you are carrying. After a couple of hours riding in either option one becomes used to it.
There are a lot so-called self appointed experts who believe that their way is the only way.
Experiment a bit and make up your own mind.

ASC1951

Guru
If you are using front panniers, it's important not to let them make you carry too much. I used to assemble everything in my back panniers and (apart from the tent poles) if it didn't fit it didn't go. Then I would re-pack it using all four panniers.

For handling I found 4 x panniers and no bar bag much the best, but it does depend on the size and weight of rider as well.

tapan

It is not a matter of beig expert but it is a matter of long experience!. It is a matter of having ones bike well balanced and as normally responsive as possible. So it is quite possible to ride with one pannier ( I do it every day) but riding under full touring load you want to be able to relax and enjoy the daily ride and not have to concentrate on the way it behaves in unusal circumstances.

The 4 pannier option is a sensible one. I would also warn about putting too much on top of the rear rack -- more top loading!

The main disadvantage of front panniers is in a head wind! I always reckoned they doubled in size heading into the wind!

My experience also led me to start using a trailer instead of panniers. I used a BOB Yak for one year and found it most excellent! I now have a Carry freedon Y frame (small) and find it fine. The great thing about towing a trailer is that the bike handles virtually normally in terms of balance and flexibility -- uphill is still hard work though! Braking distances are lengthened.

Of the 2 types of trailer I preferred the BoB -- its disadvantage was that I tended to take too much. The carry freedom though is very good for daily use with its flatbed design!

Many years ago when I started "serious" touring I only had a rear rack and panniers - bike handled OK except when I was pushing it when momentry lapses of concentration would have it attack the nearest pedestrian and going uphill. When it got steep (wrynose and Hardnott sort of ) the front wheel would become airborne at inoportune moments - like turning - since I have gone to four panniers I have found that handling overall has improved and in particular uphill on steep gradient is easier the whole lot being a much more stable platform

From an aerodynamics point of view I find handling in strong wind marginally better with four panniers - less of a tendency for the whole lot to pivot -possibly helps that I use fairly wide handlebars compared to drop bars - overall resistance into the wind it does not seem to matter what size front bags I use with the rears

http://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/image/67723074

Top Bottom