Loads of little flies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Worst fly scenario I experienced was in north Norfolk many years ago, cycle camping with a friend. Two cycle tourists passed the other way swathed like Bedouin. Up ahead the sky was dark as though a thunder storm was brewing, it was in fact a cloud of thunder bugs, or whatever you call those little black things that live on cereal crops.

I think those are the same thing as corn thrips. They seem to multiply and emerge just as the corn is turning gold.

gregsid

The colour of clothing makes a huge difference to how much you attract the blighters.

My yellow lycra is like a blummin' magnet to flying things. But when I wear my red gear, it's nowhere near as bad.

Tip of the week: Cycle with a buddy that's wearing yellow. :whistle:

gentlegreen

And they target my moist eyes - then, ironically, I can never muster enough tears to wash them out.

Even after 23 years of using the Bristol-Bath path, I still can't predict which tree they will be swarming under.

My worst experience I had with flying insects was when I took a swig from the wrong beer bottle - one that had sat opened in my living room for several summer days. :tongue:

I think those are the same thing as corn thrips. They seem to multiply and emerge just as the corn is turning gold.

Yup, same beastie, absolutely horrid at this time of year, you constantly itch (or maybe that's just me? :blush: )
My arms, being relatively hairy, act like venus fly traps for the little blighters, and anything else small and airborne, really makes cycling not that pleasurable at times!

gregsid

They must make use of Antenna
Yes. That'll be it. :thumbsup:

(wish I thought of that!)

Didn't notice them in London but lots of corn thrips round here atm. Tiny little blighters about 1mm long. Get everwhere; a deceased example is emulating a comma in my laptop screen.

If one is ever crawlling around BEHIND your screen, but in front of the light panel - *** DO NOT SQUISH IT ***

They will walk out, but nothing will get their dead bodies out :biggrin:

abo

Didn't notice them in London but lots of corn thrips round here atm. Tiny little blighters about 1mm long. Get everwhere; a deceased example is emulating a comma in my laptop screen.

Got four in mine, little sods. Aren't monitors suppose to be dust resistant, how they hell do they get in???

abo

If one is ever crawlling around BEHIND your screen, but in front of the light panel - *** DO NOT SQUISH IT ***

They will walk out, but nothing will get their dead bodies out :biggrin:

Only trouble is if they spend so long in there they die before they make it to the edge :angry:

Top Bottom