Loads of little flies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Yes, Camden and Archway. I felt them but I didn't see them.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Didn't notice them in London but lots of corn thrips round here atm. Tiny little blighters about 1mm long. Get everwhere; a deceased example is emulating a comma in my laptop screen.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
West London at 9pm tonight was like riding through a brown blizzard. :wacko:

I believe flies give 3 calories per gram.

At fruit fly level that would be 10,000 flies, but only some 1,000 if you are looking at house fly size.

Either way to gain the 70 calories of a 14g M&S flapjack portion that is a lot of flies.

Tyke

No problem until I stopped for a rest under the trees in a hi viz they thought I was lunch by the look of the hi viz within about 30 sec/

gregsid

I believe flies give 3 calories per gram.
At fruit fly level that would be 10,000 flies, but only some 1,000 if you are looking at house fly size.
Either way to gain the 70 calories of a 14g M&S flapjack portion that is a lot of flies.
I thought after all those stats and maths that you'd conclude more than "that is a lot of flies."!
:laugh:

oliglynn

Über Member
Try cycling through a swarm of them like I did this weekend with freshly sun-creamed arms. The effect is similar to that of fly paper!

blockend

Lots of tiny house flies up north too yesterday.

Worst fly scenario I experienced was in north Norfolk many years ago, cycle camping with a friend. Two cycle tourists passed the other way swathed like Bedouin. Up ahead the sky was dark as though a thunder storm was brewing, it was in fact a cloud of thunder bugs, or whatever you call those little black things that live on cereal crops.
Riding into it was pretty grim, there were billions of them in your nose, ears, eyes, shorts, everywhere.

Twenty minutes later we rode through it and the sun came out. Looking behind they just looked like a black cloud. I swallowed a bluebottle last summer while on the bike. That was unpleasant.

Top Bottom