Lockdown ‘83

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We were alot better at coping with being bored back then.

What was there to be bored about? Life was great as a teenager. I’d probably be riding my tracker bike off jumps down the woods .

Sharky

Guru
Well we got thru the three day week and train strikes in the 70's, the big freeze of 63 without the www. But today's problems are far worse.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My mum would be saying "Stop being soft. Get your duffle coat and balaclava on and get out. You will be fine". We were harder back then. 😊

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Since most of us on here are of an age to be digital immigrants, I was wondering what this current situation would be like in, say, 1983.
Before social media, how would we be coping, what would we be doing and how would be getting our information?
I moved to Manchester in autumn '83 to go to university - electronic engineering is a very demanding degree so there was lots to learn. I suppose the university itself would have been closed though, and there wasn't the possibility of online learning then. I would have done my best to wade through my textbooks unaided, which would have been hard work.

I would have read the Guardian and Manchester Evening News to keep up with events. I didn't watch TV as a student but I had the radio on for 4 or 5 hours every evening so the radio news would have been another source.

I spent my 3 student years socially distanced in my own flat in the city centre several kms away from the university and student accommodation, so it wouldn't have felt that odd not being allowed out.

I bought myself a BBC micro to take to university so I would have been playing games and writing software on that.

The internet is a massive thing in my life now though. I would hate to be in this situation without it. Having a powerful laptop and a 16 Mb/s broadband connection is fantastic!

I must have been a digital pioneer, or maybe a digital mountain man. Digital puritan is a bit extreme.

1983, desktop publishing was in full swing with an Apple computer xxxxx
That was 1984 onwards xxxx

information was spread through fan magazine type things and stickers in phone boxes. Hedge publishing was also a popular distribution method.

Top Bottom