Lockdown ‘83

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I was 18 in 1974, I was too busy boozing and NOT getting my leg over to worry about what what was going on around me!
I was 18 in 1970 I don,t remember what I was doing but I think it was OK.

On a serious note would this have been regarded as serious as it is today, or would it have been allowed to spread and kill loads of people without all the knowledge and prevention we have in place now.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm not looking back 37 years,but forward 37 years to the year 2057,when i'll be 3 years off my 100th birthday.:whistle: How will folk then look back at this C19 pandemic? Will they politely mock and belittle how we dealt with this pandemic as we (we meaning the world,not necessarily here on CC are doing) probably would be doing now if one happened in 1983?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd have been 21, not long bought my 1st house and my first decent HiFi (Pioneer) and my Fiancee* was a right goer so staying in wouldn't have been a problem. :becool:

* we're still friends and Maz gets on well with her too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
And we never had so much pub time to lose, with the miserable opening hours we had back then.
I'd managed to get round that problem, my 1st house was on Huncote Rd in Narborough and at the bottom of the garden* we had this,

vsfR476UZimMLvkCYSLMxWG_S2TwWI25kUGNlg5mo&usqp=CAU.jpg

The 4 Seasons Motel which of course operated on a Hotel Licence, there were about a dozen of us who were regulars so all day drinking wasn't a problem:becool:

* on the far right side you can see the roofs and the chimneys of the row of terraced houses Palisaded Villas that I owned one of (well paid the mortgage on)

winjim

Smash the cistern
ChuckieEgg-AnF.png

Smudge

Veteran
I'd managed to get round that problem, my 1st house was on Huncote Rd in Narborough and at the bottom of the garden* we had this,

View attachment 512465

The 4 Seasons Motel which of course operated on a Hotel Licence, there were about a dozen of us who were regulars so all day drinking wasn't a problem:becool:

* on the far right side you can see the roofs and the chimneys of the row of terraced houses Palisaded Villas that I owned one of (well paid the mortgage on)

That was handy, we had to make do with the occasional pub lock in.

Mr Celine

Discordian
What lockdown?
In 1983 with only radio, three national TV channels (it took years for channel 4 to roll out everywhere) and newspapers the government would have put a D notice on the media forbidding any mention of a new type of virus in order to avoid damaging the economy. Other countries would have done the same.

If reported at all it would just have been called flu, which before widespread seasonal flu vaccinations killed off a lot of the elderly every year. In 1983 there were far fewer over 80s, far fewer people living with transplants or compromised immunity and far fewer people with diabetes or obesity, although on the other hand a lot more people smoked or had industrial related lung diseases.
The death rate may have been very different to what we are currently experiencing.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What lockdown?
In 1983 with only radio, three national TV channels (it took years for channel 4 to roll out everywhere) and newspapers the government would have put a D notice on the media forbidding any mention of a new type of virus in order to avoid damaging the economy. Other countries would have done the same.

If reported at all it would just have been called flu, which before widespread seasonal flu vaccinations killed off a lot of the elderly every year. In 1983 there were far fewer over 80s, far fewer people living with transplants or compromised immunity and far fewer people with diabetes or obesity, although on the other hand a lot more people smoked or had industrial related lung diseases.
The death rate may have been very different to what we are currently experiencing.

Best post so far on this. Nowadays with 45% of the population obese and - I'd guess - a much bigger proportion suffering long-term illness of some sort especially diabetes and hypertension, the national obsession is rightly the safeguarding of the NHS.

Yet Private Eye's correspondent MD points out that so far this year about 160,000 people have died. If 2,000 of them died with CV, the remaining 158,000 died of something that wasn't newsworthy. Those 2,000 would probably have died during 2020 anyway but the effort expended in treating them is diverting attention away from others who have medical, psychological and social needs. Harsh but true. I don't fully understand what Sweden is trying to achieve by not imposing lockdown but I'm guessing it's got something to do with this and the idea of herd immunity.

As a PS, the epidemic of obesity with related disease is probably the reason for the high death rate in the USA.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Best post so far on this. Nowadays with 45% of the population obese and - I'd guess - a much bigger proportion suffering long-term illness of some sort especially diabetes and hypertension, the national obsession is rightly the safeguarding of the NHS.

Yet Private Eye's correspondent MD points out that so far this year about 160,000 people have died. If 2,000 of them died with CV, the remaining 158,000 died of something that wasn't newsworthy. Those 2,000 would probably have died during 2020 anyway but the effort expended in treating them is diverting attention away from others who have medical, psychological and social needs. Harsh but true. I don't fully understand what Sweden is trying to achieve by not imposing lockdown but I'm guessing it's got something to do with this and the idea of herd immunity.

As a PS, the epidemic of obesity with related disease is probably the reason for the high death rate in the USA.

Swedens approach is look at lockdown, it isn’t working, so why do it?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I remember a flu epidemic sometime in the late 1950's which killed a lot of people and some of them were students in my year at university. There were as far as I can remember no restrictions and no advice either. If you got it then that was just bad luck.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember a flu epidemic sometime in the late 1950's which killed a lot of people and some of them were students in my year at university. There were as far as I can remember no restrictions and no advice either. If you got it then that was just bad luck.
They also allowed smoking everywhere, drink driving wasn't seen as a huge problem, Formula 1 used to kill lots of drivers every season and so on... but do we really want to go back to those 'good old days'? :whistle:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
They also allowed smoking everywhere, drink driving wasn't seen as a huge problem, Formula 1 used to kill lots of drivers every season and so on... but do we really want to go back to those 'good old days'? :whistle:
I didn't really suggest it was a good idea but just what happened at the time.

Top Bottom