Lockdown ‘83

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Since most of us on here are of an age to be digital immigrants, I was wondering what this current situation would be like in, say, 1983.
Before social media, how would we be coping, what would we be doing and how would be getting our information?

classic33

Leg End Member
The BBC, TV & radio, ITV and the newspapers.

Local jungle drums as well.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But going back to question.

Didn't channel 4 launch in 1982? So we would have the BBC , ITV and channel 4 news to watch. Plus the news papers and radio, including world news on short wave. Internet bulletin boards for any random theories you wanted to read.

But at that time, at the age I was, I didn’t watch the news so much. The spread would also be slower due to a lot less travel both at home and internatinally.

I would be coping same as now. I’m not one to worry and back then even my grandmother wouldn’t be old enough for me to worry about.

In fact many would probably cope a lot better as they wouldn’t consume mis information and news 24/7.

Lot more UK manufacturing capability then as well, as Thatcher’s policies will not have shut a lot down just yet.

Vaccine, probably years or decades away. None of the gene sequencing and computational capacity we have now,

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
But going back to question.

Didn't channel 4 launch in 1982?* So we would have the BBC , ITV and channel 4 news to watch. Plus the news papers and radio, including world news on short wave.

But at that time, at the age I was, I didn’t watch the news so much. The spread would also be slower due to a lot less travel both at home and internatinally.

I would be coping same as now. I’m not one to worry and back then even my grandmother wouldn’t be old enough for me to worry about.

In fact many would probably cope a lot better as they wouldn’t consume mis information and news 24/7.
*November '82

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'd have only been 14, wasn't really interested in the news at that age, but we had an Atari 2600, so i'd be stuck playing that for days on end :laugh:
However if it had been in 1985, that would have maybe been good news for me. If my O levels had been based on expected grades I doubt I would have failed 7 of them, I wasn't expected to be that bad :rolleyes:

Top Bottom