Lockdown? What lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Passed Macdonald's whilst riding, before the shops opened. There was a queue!
If the police are pouncing on visitors to places like beaches, how about a car just at the exit of the takeaway, just to see how essential that journey for a burger really was?

The same for me when going through Huddersfield on the bike earlier - long queues out onto the main A-road, and in the bike-only lane :cursing:, for McDonalds / KFC / Starbucks. Maybe it's because it's one of the few things people can go out for.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The same for me when going through Huddersfield on the bike earlier - long queues out onto the main A-road, and in the bike-only lane :cursing:, for McDonalds / KFC / Starbucks. Maybe it's because it's one of the few things people can go out for.
Being in a solid line bike lane is still worth a fine.

At least drive throughs serve through a window. I am fed up seeing takeaways that make people wait indoors. Mostly the regular branches of the chains, whereas cafes and restaurants are serving from counters built in their doorways. Scotland were right to require it IMO.

Then again, people are meant to walk or cycle, not drive, so close the drive throughs!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Annoyingly, they won't serve cyclists via a drive through. I've tried to get a coffee a few times whilst out for a ride. No luck at McD or KFC.
Not tried the other chains,though.

mjr

Indeed the walk or cycle don’t drive has the same standing as exercise once a day.
I would bet most of the drive through visitors are not only sticking to that advisory exercise limit, but being even more cautious!

Annoyingly, they won't serve cyclists via a drive through. I've tried to get a coffee a few times whilst out for a ride. No luck at McD or KFC.
Not tried the other chains,though.
I'm not suggesting this would ever happen, but in the light of Comrade MJR's point about active travel:

We know cafes are doing pretty good trade from passing walkers/cyclists. I'm pretty sure that if drive-thrus were PREVENTED from serving folks in a car, they'd PDQ solve the "problems" of serving walkers/cyclists, and make a perfectly decent profit.
</fantasy>

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Nipped across to the grocers today for bread and was treated to three f'wits talking crap. One teenage ned, an older guy and the shopkeeper. Ned led off by bragging about the great parties that are happening with people desperate to enjoy themselves "The lassies are pure gantin' for it man and ah wis pished oot ma nut". The older guy then started on about the 100,000 death figure being exaggerated in order to justify the government fining people - the money raised being used to pay back lockdown. At this the member of staff (the first one I've seen in there not wearing a mask) told them about the Great Reset, a global plot by the bankers to drive everybody into debt and under their control - "it's on Youtube man, Google it, everybody kens aboot it"

D

Deleted member 26715

Had to drive into the centre of Sheffield today to go into the office, first time I had been there in 12 months, as we got onto the M1 I was thinking it was just as busy as ever with lunchtime traffic, but as we drove on it was clear it was nowhere near as busy, what was more noticeable was the lack of HGV's. As we went down the Parkway & round the Ring road again it didn't seem any reduction in cars, only HGV's. But then once we went into the actual centre behind the Cathedral the lack of cars & people was very noticeable. We called at Costco & Asda on the way back, both were not as busy as usual, then called at KFC for essential lunch.

mjr

Nipped across to the grocers today for bread and was treated to three f'wits talking crap.
:sad: but I think all the loonies are still browsing the shops and shooting the breeze while sane people if they can are baking bread or getting deliveries, or click-and-collecting it from the increased number of bakers that now offer that service, or at least being as quick as possible in and out of shops not hanging around chatting, so you may not be getting an impression of the true average sentiment, to put it mildly.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
"it's on Youtube man, Google it, everybody kens aboot it

Reminds me of the message I saw from Arnold Schwarzenegger a couple of days ago (and I defy you not to say it in his Austrian accent):

"It's simple, if your house is on fire, you don't go on YouTube, you call the damn fire department."

Here's the full text...
20210127_183102.jpg

Top Bottom