Lockdown? What lockdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's a bit 'busy' to get any useful information from it
Car use counted twice as well

That's just the way we do things in the UK though isn't it! :whistle:

For example - How about £20,000 on consultancy fees to come up with a name for the institution to be formed by merging The University of Bradford and Bradford College? Three months later the genius consultants came up with a shortlist of 3 alternative names - Bradford University, University of Bradford and The University of Bradford. I would have done it in 3 minutes for £1,000! :laugh:

You probably think that I made that example up - NOPE! :wacko:

PS And then the merger was called off anyway! :banghead:
University College of Bradford would have won hands down.
Ten seconds of thought. :rolleyes:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Mrs B informs me that one of her Whats App groups has said the police were today stopping motorists as they left one of the Cheshire junctions of the M62. - Apparently questions about travel.
No information about fines. I am guessing those who were stopped and fed into the group, either had legitimate reasons, or were not prepared to own up about a fine.

tyred

Legendary Member
My local rag is running with a front page story about how traffic volumes are up 70 -90 per cent on last May. I observe the high volume of traffic myself when I go out for walks and the news story has just confirmed my thoughts.

If pubs, cafes and restaurants are closed, non-residential retail is closed, schools and colleges are closed, office workers are supposed to be working from home and building sites are supposed to be closed, as are other things like golf clubs and other sporting facilities and nobody is supposed to travel more than 5km without a good reason, then where the **** are people going?:wacko:

My local rag is running with a front page story about how traffic volumes are up 70 -90 per cent on last May. I observe the high volume of traffic myself when I go out for walks and the news story has just confirmed my thoughts.
Why May? What does this prove?

Traffic still light on all my commutes this week. Good thing too - I hate riding on busy roads in the rain :okay:
(bu99er all cyclists commuting, hardly surprising. Ice dotted around this morning, sustrans tunnel still 70% flooded :O )

tyred

Legendary Member
Why May? What does this prove?

Traffic still light on all my commutes this week. Good thing too - I hate riding on busy roads in the rain :okay:
(bu99er all cyclists commuting, hardly surprising. Ice dotted around this morning, sustrans tunnel still 70% flooded :O )
It's comparing it to the previous lockdown.

ah OK. But bear in mind that in May we had lovely weather, so lots of folks were using spare time productively outside. Now there is less incentive, some depend on their cars to fill their spare time. That is people I'm afraid!

But yes, we know more people are at work now than in May. Isn't it inevitable that folk are worn down by this? Some bounce-back was inevitable even if the rules were identical. You need to consider normal human psychology.

Landsurfer

Veteran
This is something I have been wondering about too.

I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one who has actually been sticking to the rules.
I think the overwhelming majority of the population are sticking to the rules ... what ever the rules, guidance or law is ... and even the police aren’t sure ... I’ve never seen anyone in Tesco or Morrisons without a mask ... But men of Asian heritage having to being asked to wear masks in our local ALDI is becoming a bit of a thing ..

D

Deleted member 26715

No wonder the roads are so busy! :smile:

Seriously, I think the poster is in NI, maybe different rules there as opposed to England. :smile:
Sorry you are right they are from Eire, I felt the roads were quieter on my trip & then when out on bike I smelt a couple of diesel cars which you normally can't do so I suspected the air quality was better

tyred

Legendary Member
Traffic is definitely less than it would be in a normal year but considering the advice is to stay at home unless absolutely necessary and if you go out for exercise, you're supposed to stay in a 5km radius of home I think there is far more traffic than I would have expected.

If it was a nice summer's evening I could perfectly understand someone going out for a drive and so long as they don't mix with others there's no harm in it but it's dark, cold with a real risk of black ice and even snow on higher ground so I doubt people would go for a drive in such conditions just for fun.

Milzy

Guru
Traffic is definitely less than it would be in a normal year but considering the advice is to stay at home unless absolutely necessary and if you go out for exercise, you're supposed to stay in a 5km radius of home I think there is far more traffic than I would have expected.

If it was a nice summer's evening I could perfectly understand someone going out for a drive and so long as they don't mix with others there's no harm in it but it's dark, cold with a real risk of black ice and even snow on higher ground so I doubt people would go for a drive in such conditions just for fun.
You’re supposed to stay 5km within your home? News to me. I believe you could actually do a grand fondo against advice but it’s not actually breaking any laws.

Top Bottom