Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sjw

Budget £100 but looking at vids and stuff i need two. very scary stuff. Basically nothing is theftproof :angry:Any advice or tips? Seen an alarm on eBay which screams if bike is moved but still need locks

Drago

Legendary Member
My tip - 2 quality locks of different types, necessitating Johnny Scumbag carry 2 different types of tool.

Reactions: mjr

vickster

Legendary Member
Get ah Abus Granit X and a secondary lock for the front wheel. Where will you be leaving it and for how long?
Get it insured and make sure your locks satisfy the terms of the policy

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

Get ah Abus Granit X and a secondary lock for the front wheel. Where will you be leaving it and for how long?
Get it insured and make sure your locks satisfy the terms of the policy
Town centre and not long. Probably ask people to do my shopping whilst I stand with bike!
A lot of bikes are getting nicked out of gardens round here so it's in my living room.

vickster

Legendary Member
Town centre and not long. Probably ask people to do my shopping whilst I stand with bike!
A lot of bikes are getting nicked out of gardens round here so it's in my living room.
Be fine with an Abus Granit. Just leave in a well trafficked spot

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Kryptonite New York user here -- plenty of great reviews and highly praised. its quite heavy duty though so if you get attacked you could beat someone to death with it.

wxbull

I have a shopping bike (bought for 75 quid) best bike does not get locked anywhere out of my sight, apart from at home!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you have home contents insurance, add your bike to it. It'll be far cheaper than using a bike specific policy, and probably won't have so many of the "weasel words". Make sure that you use a lock that complies with the insurers terms and conditions. I use the cheapest Sold Secure gold-rated lock I could find (about £30) and a six quid cable lock for a £700 bike. I also try and lock it in faintly safe places. If they really want it, they'll take it. There's no point in getting too worried about it.

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

If you have home contents insurance, add your bike to it. It'll be far cheaper than using a bike specific policy, and probably won't have so many of the "weasel words". Make sure that you use a lock that complies with the insurers terms and conditions. I use the cheapest Sold Secure gold-rated lock I could find (about £30) and a six quid cable lock for a £700 bike. I also try and lock it in faintly safe places. If they really want it, they'll take it. There's no point in getting too worried about it.
regards insurance, this was my thinking too! Sorting that out today

vickster

Legendary Member
regards insurance, this was my thinking too! Sorting that out today
Obviously check the excess. What’s the value of the bike? You might find a cycle policy from bikmo or similar makes sense if lower value than Home insurance. You’ll obviously need to have away from home cover and check the terms for locking up in an outbuilding

Just be sensible. Use a good D lock in a well trafficked area. I regularly leave a £1500 bike locked up in town centres for a couple of hours without incident

Locking skewers for wheels can be a good deterrent too

Johnno260

Veteran
Two locks is best, leave it in a high traffic area.

Don’t leave it outside leisure centres, where the reception staff watch someone use bolt cutters on your lock and say oh I thought he had lost the key.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Get a donor bike, something you can afford to lose and a reasonable lock.
Your £100 could easily buy both.
The best locks in the world can be defeated and even in high traffic/busy areas thieving t**ts will still have a go. The general public are unlikely to interfere with a thief because of risk to personal safety.

Top Bottom