Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
+1 for the Kryptonite.

As well as being light, another advantage of being smaller is that if you lock a bike through the rear triangle, it leaves virtually no space inside the D for a thief to insert a jack.
I think Kryptonite are untrustworthy since the biro debacle and the insurance terms limit their payouts so much it's basically misleading.

Too small Ds limit the parking stands you can use and @Drago knows a very small jack IIRC.

simongt

Guru
A lot of bikes are getting nicked out of gardens round here so it's in my living room.
Blimey. And I thought Stroud was a fairly posh place to live; mind you, I was there 45 years ago - ! ^_^
Although we've always kept all our bikes indoors regardless. Not quite so much for making them less thievable, but weatherproof.

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

Blimey. And I thought Stroud was a fairly posh place to live; mind you, I was there 45 years ago - ! ^_^
Although we've always kept all our bikes indoors regardless. Not quite so much for making them less thievable, but weatherproof.

3 been stolen from stonehouse this week. I'm bringing all mine inside and I'll sleep in the shed!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It's risky enough. For a small town the bike theft figures are about the norm.
https://www.police.uk/gloucestershire/CA1/crime/2018-05/bicycle-theft/
Only 1/3 as many as Gloucester, and leaving my bike on a stand here whilst I do the shopping doesn't bother me at all.

a) leave it in a public, fairly busy location, not hidden away out of sight.
b) lock it properly, wheel & frame, to something solid, and preferably with the lock well clear of the ground.
c) use a decent lock (I use a Trelock Titan Lite, which was one of the better locks back in about 1999 when I got it). Sold Secure Silver or better.
d) Don't regularly leave the bike in the same place if you can help it.

Garden bikes fall foul of both (a) and (d), and quite often there's nothing to attach the lock to either.

Top Bottom