Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a donor bike, something you can afford to lose and a reasonable lock.
Your £100 could easily buy both.
The best locks in the world can be defeated and even in high traffic/busy areas thieving t**ts will still have a go. The general public are unlikely to interfere with a thief because of risk to personal safety.
I’m pretty sure the OP has an old bike that lives on a turbo

For me, I only have bikes of reasonable value that I want to enjoy riding. I’ve tried the only hack before and derived no enjoyment so I use a decent lock in busy areas. I very much doubt thieves are roaming SW London in the day to steal bikes where there are hoards if shoppers when there are far quieter targets or times of day. I have insurance and don’t worry too much about it. Each to their own however.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

Town centre and not long. Probably ask people to do my shopping whilst I stand with bike!
A lot of bikes are getting nicked out of gardens round here so it's in my living room.

Get a 2nd cheap bike to use to ride to town?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A lock from www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109 for the back wheel, frame and parking stand. Any other reasonably good looking one for the front wheel, frame and parking stand, ideally, or wheel and frame at least.

Drago

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless it's an angle grinder. Surely.

Good point, well made.

A grinder will munch a run of the mill cable. Certain armoured cables are pretty resistance, and some high end cables have Kevlar fibres which either won t cut easily, or are designed to clog the grinder. Kevlar also laughs at bolt croppers - its like tryimg to cut a thick hemp rope with nail scissors. My handy tip (tm) only works with 2 x different types of lock of high quality, although decent steel/Kevlar combination cables can be had pleasingly cheaply.

Last edited:
Top Bottom