Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotAnother Cyclist

I'm buying a hybrid. Costing £500. I was looking at buying a couple of £100 locks, as I'm currently using a Brompton and not bothered with locks as it comes everywhere with me. But a thought has occurred - could expensive locks attract a thief, making them think the bike is worth more than it is?

tom73

Guru
Maybe but it's more likely to make them think the one next to it with a crap lock is the one for me. Then again buy a cheep lock and risk it and you lose then kick yourself for not buying a better one. In the end how ever much the bike cost's it mean's more to us than most so buy the best lock you can it's the least you can do for your bike.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If your bike is insured, you'll probably find that the insurance company set a minimum standard of lock so make sure you comply with this.

That said, buying a better lock than required never did anyone any harm, just bear in mind that no lock is totally thief proof - and the main function of any lock is to make your bike more difficult to steal than the one locked next to it.

I've got one of these for high risk areas: https://www.evanscycles.com/onguard-pitbull-d-lock-with-cable-EV344547

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
If your bike is insured, you'll probably find that the insurance company set a minimum standard of lock so make sure you comply with this.

That said, buying a better lock than required never did anyone any harm, just bear in mind that no lock is totally thief proof - and the main function of any lock is to make your bike more difficult to steal than the one locked next to it.

I've got one of these for high risk areas: https://www.evanscycles.com/onguard-pitbull-d-lock-with-cable-EV344547

Same here and a great price for a golf standard lock.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I have one of these sets for using in London and it works fine (*so far!) Kryptonite Mini 7 U-Lock & Kryptoflex Cable

How do you know it works? Has someone attempted to steal the bike and failed as a result of the lock?

A way around drawing attention to the posh lock if bought is make it look scruffy as possible and hide the big flashy manufacturers name and model that'll be printed on it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm buying a hybrid. Costing £500. But a thought has occurred - could expensive locks attract a thief, making them think the bike is worth more than it is?

Thieves aren't stupid, they know how much common bikes cost new and they know what the going rate is for stolen ones sold for cash up the top of the Lane. The attractiveness of the bike causes the theft risk, not the fact that the lock looks expensive.
If you were to lock up your £500 hybrid with a £100 lock next to one of my skip rescue bikes locked with the same type of £100 lock, I'd bet a month's wages on it that any thief would try to nick your bike in preference to taking mine. If you want to minimise risk, then don't use a bike of any value greater than the price of a round of drinks. if you are leaving it on-street. If your bike doesn't offer a thief any profit for their efforts, they won't bother trying to steal it or the parts off it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thieves aren't stupid, they know how much common bikes cost new and they know what the going rate is for stolen ones sold for cash up the top of the Lane. The attractiveness of the bike causes the theft risk, not the fact that the lock looks expensive.
If you were to lock up your £500 hybrid with a £100 lock next to one of my skip rescue bikes locked with the same type of £100 lock, I'd bet a month's wages on it that any thief would try to nick your bike in preference to taking mine. If you want to minimise risk, then don't use a bike of any value greater than the price of a round of drinks. if you are leaving it on-street. If your bike doesn't offer a thief any profit for their efforts, they won't bother trying to steal it or the parts off it.
Cobblers. I've taken enough cheap bikes into the police to say that they'd take more risk in attempting to take the cheaper one. Who'd bother with someone "having trouble with a lock" on a cheaper bike.

The risk is the same, bike theft, if they're caught.

jay clock

Massive member
My bike is a few years old basic Trek hybrid.. Was left outside for a while at one point so all the shinier bits are dull.. Then I wrapped the frame in electrical tape and cable tied a basket on the back.. Looks unexciting.. Every little helps

Drago

Legendary Member
Alas, many bike thieves are stupid, but assuredly not all of them. And many are not fully cognisant of true market value. I fondly recall bursting into laughter during one interview with a lowlife with a penchant for other people's bikes, when he opined that Boardman was top drawer classy gear.

Top Bottom