Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
As @Drago point's out most of the time you are not dealing with Raffles. Often simple stuff get's them spending time in the cell's. The one thing most value is getting away with it. Quickly bag 5 unlocked/ simple locked bikes with little chance of getting seen say over 1 hour. Or spend 30 mins trying to get hold of one with a better lock but with bigger risk of getting seen and ending your hour in the cell's. That's about as complex as the thinking get's for most of them.

Rowano

If your bike is insured, you'll probably find that the insurance company set a minimum standard of lock so make sure you comply with this.

That said, buying a better lock than required never did anyone any harm, just bear in mind that no lock is totally thief proof - and the main function of any lock is to make your bike more difficult to steal than the one locked next to it.

I've got one of these for high risk areas: https://www.evanscycles.com/onguard-pitbull-d-lock-with-cable-EV344547

I also used one of these for locking my bike up in Cardiff and Bristol. On one occasion I returned to my bike to see someone had tried to lift it, obvious marking around the D lock where they had tried to pry it open. Failing to steal the bike, they'd taken the QR skewer from my wheels, maybe to see if it's leave the bike overnight for done more heavy duty stealing equipment to arrive. Whatever the story, my bike was safe with this lock.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That said, buying a better lock than required never did anyone any harm, just bear in mind that no lock is totally thief proof - and the main function of any lock is to make your bike more difficult to steal than the one locked next to it.

I've got one of these for high risk areas: https://www.evanscycles.com/onguard-pitbull-d-lock-with-cable-EV344547
I use one of those too - it is a very secure lock. Only if is used properly though, and not the way that the first reviewer on Evans did, subsequently complaining that it was "useless" ...!

Bullguard lock.jpg

:wacko:

(In case you didn't spot it, the D-lock only seems to have been used to secure the cable, and NOT the bike! :laugh:)

Alas, many bike thieves are stupid, but assuredly not all of them. And many are not fully cognisant of true market value. I fondly recall bursting into laughter during one interview with a lowlife with a penchant for other people's bikes, when he opined that Boardman was top drawer classy gear.
OT on the stupid side one of the €8,000 bikes in the Vuelta was stolen a few years back and turned up in a pawn shop for €80 :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That's a good point - my Brooks Cambium accounts for about half the value of my bike! If I ever do more than a café stop (which is rare) I run a cable though the saddle rails.

On a station hack bike this is the sort of saddle you want; cheap, horrible looking, and instantly recognisable. The one pictured was fitted to the old 3-speed in order to take it out for a 20 mile road test (very comfortable it is too). No-one is going to bother to rob a duct-taped Apollo saddle! The MTB the saddle rightfully belongs to was free out of a skip and the 3-speed roadster cost £5. Last of the big spenders! :laugh:
PUCH AGAINST WALL.jpg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

So I'm looking for the holy trinity of strong , light, and affordable.

In a lock

I know you can't generally have all three.

But is there anything that comes close??

Also I don't have home insurance - so I can't add my new bike to it.
What do others, in a similar position do?

Who is good for bike only insurance??

vickster

Legendary Member

So I'm looking for the holy trinity of strong , light, and affordable.

In a lock

I know you can't generally have all three.

But is there anything that comes close??

Also I don't have home insurance - so I can't add my new bike to it.
What do others, in a similar position do?

Who is good for bike only insurance??
If you want strong, it likely won’t be light so you need to decide which is more important. What is cheap for you? Where are you locking up and for how long?

Cycle only insurance can be expensive depending on the value of the bike and have quite stringent Ts and Cs including lock requirements

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There's an easy solution; don't leave expensive bikes parked unattended. If you do journeys that involve having to park the bike outside whilst you are inside somewhere, then just use a cheapo bike for those trips. I'm not a big fan of D-locks anyway, as to use them properly you need a small-diameter pole or bike stand to lock to. A D-lock is no good if the only object available to lock to is a large diameter lamp post or a tree. On my hack bikes I often carry two locks; a length of galvanised steel chain with a decent padlock, and a shorter wire cable lock that goes through the front wheel and downtube. If I only need to prevent casual ride-away theft (like in the pub) then it's one lock only with the front wheel secured.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well I guess I'd blanch at paying too much over £50.

And preferably not in excess of 200g??

I don't cycle much in towns, but I do use trains a fair bit to get to touring routes etc.
My. old bike looked like a hobo set up, quite scruffy, I spose but contents of panniers probs added up to well over a grands worth of lightweight gear.

Now I've got a bike that would cost me to replace, but the lock is mainly for when I'm in a pub or cafe, or hanging out at a station waiting for a connection.

I guess it won't be long before New Bike starts to looks like 'tramp transport' when loaded so maybe just stick with that.

Hang badly washed socks off it, that kinda thing. And maybe as someone has suggested above, stick some unnecessary bits of random repair tape to add o the overall air of scruffiness.

On overnighters or longer tours I'm usually wild camping or somewhere pretty rural, so theft is not generally such an issue then.

subaqua

What’s the point
Biggest problem round here is stealing of parts from bikes. Feckers nicked my rear disk brake set up . Lever pipes callipers ... £75 I didn’t want to have to spend ...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Biggest problem round here is stealing of parts from bikes. Feckers nicked my rear disk brake set up . Lever pipes callipers ... £75 I didn’t want to have to spend ...

Bad luck.

Theiving gits..

If they want some shiney new parts, why can't they just get a paper round, and save up - like wot we did back in the day.

Top Bottom