Loctite for BB bolt? Any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Ive used thread lock on 2 types of cranks only, the shimano octalink and campag hollow veloce for good reason the buggers keep comming undone. Ive also seen threadlock used on bike brake components when bought new.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The bolts with a blue blob on them are patchlock.
You get nyloc nuts, not bolts.

To get back to the OP, I'd not use threadlock anywhere on a bike, especially not on the crank bolts.
Once they've been on a few weeks they'll want tightening anyway.

oliglynn

Über Member
Grease on the thread will enable you to tighten the bolt further (This may help if you've putting the chainset onto a tapered spindle and just need to get it on tighter)
Threadlock is an adhesive for use on the thread, and will help the bolt remain in position and not un-thread under load/vibration etc. This is probably what you need to keep the crank bolt from coming loose if the bolt is unwinding rather than the chainset not being on tight enough.
Superglue is bad news - don't ever use it on bolts. If it sticks before you've fully tightened it, or the bolt needs further tightening in future you may find yourself in trouble!

Grease and threadlock can be removed if they don't work or make things worse.

I used threadlock to stop my non-drive-side pedal bolts (clamping pedal onto a splined shaft) coming loose. Suspect there may have been some manufacturing defect, but was out of warranty. No problems since.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I use Loctite 222 which has a less aggressive lock adhesion to threads and I use it on spoke nipples and mudguard bolt as well as crank bolts in the past. Got a bottle in my toolbox!

Smut Pedaller

Über Member
You can't substitute a threadlocker/nylocs by just tightening it up more, some parts are sensitive to being overtightened and/or will loosen from vibration or usage. Most BB cups these days come with blue loctite on them from the factory.

I also tend to use it on things like mudguard and rack bolts which tend to rattle loose, as well as on spoke nipples when I built a radially spoked wheel.

Acyclo

Veteran
I am getting a new chainset and I would like to loctite the bolt that secures the chainset.

However there are a number of different types I believe. Would you normally loctite these parts? and if you do can you recommend which loctite number I should use.

Also where can you get loctite from? Have had a quick look in halfords and DIY store but can't find any.

Many thanks
I use Loctite 242 extensively. Contrary to popular opinion expressed here it doesn't make it harder or impossible to undo fasteners it makes it easier[1], but reduces the likelihood of unintended loosening.

Get it from a decent tool shop or online. Get a bottle not the small tubes, it's much more economical that way.

[1] by preventing corrosion in the thread space by preventing water ingress.

Smut Pedaller

Über Member
Not wishing to contradict a new member :welcome: but I've never seen a new BB with patchlock or any other form of Loctite.
campagnolo-components-ultra-torque-bb-cups.jpg

These are the standard Campagnolo ultratorque BB cups, well it's not blue but you get the point. I don't usually see it on square taper BB's though but I suspect it's maybe from the size of the bearings.

Proto

Legendary Member
Campagnolo (and Shimano, I think) use Loctite Threadlock patches (or their equivalent)on brake bolts. Campagnolo also use its, as shown above, on BB cups. All disc brake rotor bolts that I have seen have Loctite patches on them.

I use it it on the bolt holding together the Ultratorque chainset axle halves, and I always use it on the bolt holding on the LH crank arm of a FSA chainset, SLK, K Force etc etc

The blokes on here saying Loctite has no place on a bicycle probably ought to go to a bike shop now and again, they'll be amazed at some of the stuff in there. Some modern have even got gears now. Madness. Who on earth needs gears on a bike ...................

When I were a lad, it were all fields around here, and fish and chips only cost thruppence etc etc etc

PS if any of my bikes had mudguards or pannier racks then I'd Threadlock the bolts holding them on too.

P.H

Über Member
I'm amazed that anyone who reads forums still puts a metal to metal thread without anything protecting it, don't you people read all the stuck bolt threads?
I use Locktite 242 on most bolts, it has a breakaway torque of 11.5 nm, that isn't round the head off your bolt force, it's hand tool territory. If applied properly that's the torque required when you come to remove it, whether that's in six months or six years, you can't say that for an unprotected thread and although grease serves some of that purpose it neither lasts as long or stops vibration loosening.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Grease simples, even take out the cartridge brake block bolts and grease them before re-fitting.

PS I don't use a torque wrench - all by feel.

mattsccm

Lets not get complicated.
Its sounds as if the OP is using a sqaure taper BB. Therefore its simple. Lock it on or grease it. In 30 something years I have never had a CS bolt come undone with a touch of grease. Just tighten the bugger properly.

Top Bottom