Loire Valley for the less hill-dodger? Or where else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Pop in for a tea if going past Winchester

Tony

How about the Med coast of France from Perpignan round, using Bike Express? Done it a few times. Flat, sunny.......

Got the ferry to Caen, then train to Le Mans last year to do the Loire and it was a nice relaxing trip. We're only 24 miles from Portsmouth so it's nice to be able to cycle straight from home.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I like the Perpignan one, as we can fly forom Southampton, and I was pleased to see Dave had done the train to Le Mans with bike.

Sadly the whole thing is off as that week is now not free (Ms JC's children were possibly going away with their Dad). We have booked up a week in the Ile d'Oléron in August which should allow plenty of cycling opportunities for the children (6 and 8). Ms JC is driving down, and I am flying to La Rochelle with the bike, then cycling to the island (85km). My plan once there is to not use the car all week. If you don't mind cycle paths, it is a perfect place for a family holiday with lots of cycling- Ms JC and I were there in 2005 as part of a lovely tour: www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/larochelle

In fact we had decided that in any case because of our other plans we would probably go to Norfolk instead of France, so Loire Valley remains on the back burner for another day

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
Have cycled a lot in Netherlands and Belgium (my wife same view on hills as yours!) and can recommend setting out from Amsterdam - going over the Ijselmeer and heading east a bit.

Or do part of the Ronde Vlaanderen head east in Belgium. Can't comment on the food too much as I'm veggie and we found it ok.

We have a place in Lower Normandy about 100km from Le Mans and the roads round there are very quiet and rolling hills through nice forested areas. Part of it is on the Paris - Brest - paris route.

willem

Über Member
We did quite a bit of the Loire last year, camping with the children (10&12). For them, the cycling was easy (they are tough as a nail experienced cyclists, however). We liked the quiet roads and bike paths, since we like to keep the kids out of harm's way as much as we can. We used a nice Dutch route book, but there are many. For me, I thought it was a bit boring as far as cycling goes.
Willem

Top Bottom