Loire Valley for the less hill-dodger? Or where else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Loire Valley for the hill-dodger? Or where else?

As an experienced tourer I am happy to cycle anywhere. However Mrs (Ms actually) JC is less experienced, and is considering coming on another tour with me.

We have already done La Rochelle/Ile de Re and Ile d'Oleron on one trip (2005) and Biarritz to Bordeaux a year later. We now have the prospect of a few days or a full week to go away mid June. She is not keen for a monster daily mileage, nor massive hills. In fact no hills would be ideal.

The ideal for us is to fly from Southampton with bikes to one place and back from another. I have thought about the ferries but the Normandy coast is lumpy. Another option is ferry +train but have heard horror stories about taking bikes on them (I am bilingual in French so no hassle arguing the toss with the train crew, but I would prefer to know I can do what I plan rather than taking a gamble). Another option is to fly from Gatwick or Bournemouth to somewhere. Would prefer to avoid Luton and Stansted

The Loire Valley seems to get good reviews - if we did that can anyone suggest a 5 or 7 day itinerary? And plans for getting there

Any other places to consider? Nice hotel/B&Bs, good food, and flat terrain are top of the list. Netherlands could be considered, but food is not so great....

Thinking hats on please, forummers!

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
just been thinking about it and came up with additional options of Norfolk and Sweden. Any views?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm planning that trip for March. Hope the weather is kind. I'll be taking the parents on their first bike trip so we're talking low mileage. Each line in the below is a day.

My plan is:

Overnight ferry.
Drive to Saumur & explore.
Cycle to Azay le Rideau
Castle in the morning. Cycle to Villandry. That castle in pm.
To Chenonceaux. Castle.
Amboise and then Chaumont
Cheverney and then Chambord.
Cycle to Blois. Back to Saumur by train
Home.

We might skip a couple of chateaux if we get chateaud out but it sounds fun and it's supposed to be beautiful.

Go for the Loire option Anger thru to Sancerre - I lived in Norfolk for a while and have ridden through Loire three times - no competition - last two years I have been to Sweden - Too many trees (plus the roads can be a little naughty)

Brains

Legendary Member
Louire is wonderful - we did not plan a route but followed the excellent Bike Line book/maps (in German, but that does not matter)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
John, I loved your loire trip link! Sent it to the parents to inspire them.

andym

Über Member
jay

Here is the link to the fubicy (French cyclists' organisation) website's guide to taking bikes on trains.

(in French) http://www.fubicy.org/spip.php?page=imprimer&id_article=112
(in English for others) http://www.fubicy.org/spip.php?article107

The rules vary somewhat between regions so it's not surprising if rail staff get confused. Equally I do suspect there's a large element of people who don't bother to find out what the rules are and then shout and scream when they fall foul of them, and no doubt p*** french railway staff with their attitude.

Anyway. I would just like to enter a quick word in defence of Norfolk and Suffolk - they have some utterly spectacular beaches and some beautiful villages. You could spend a very worthwhile week or long weekend touring the area. But yes I have to admit, nothing that really compares with the glories of the chateaux of the Loire.

PS a quick grammar gripe - chateaux is already plural you don't need an 's' on the end.

asterix

Comrade Member
Flat isn't always good.

Les Landes, in France is very flat indeed. Unfortunately it's also boring.. Long, straight roads, fields, sand dunes and pine forests. It means something like 'wasteland'.

I do like the Loire area. It's the sort of place where I end up doing 20 mile days just dawdling along looking at the scenery:becool:

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
excellent stuff. I will get the maps out and have another think. Loire Valley does seem good, and if I can do trains from Cherbourg/Caen/St Malo to that area it would be ideal.

Cheers everyone!

Top Bottom