Lol, Folk have to Comment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last night with fading light and having been held up at a railway crossing for what seemed like ages, I opted to cut through the park (Ferry Meadows) rather than tackle a parkway rbt and give a driver an excuse not to see me. Even at dusk the meadows are still busy with peds so I slowed down appropriately and the noisy freehub and the polite 'coming through please' was effective. I passed one bloke where it was effective too but a moment after passing he asks, 'have you not got a Bell on that?' I dont know how he interpreted my reply 'No, my voice will do' but I was needing to get home before it got dark.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You doing it all wrong Squire.
Get an airzound and blast the living daylights out of 'em.

you'll never please everyone. I rarely use shared use paths on the bike but I have now perfected my voice and pitch and say coming up slowly on your left/right. I inserted the slowly as it seemed to cause less panic, until they see my face that is...

Someone used one of those bulb horns on me the other day. For some reason, when I turned around I was expecting to see a clown with a red nose and big feet. Instead it was a couple on a tandem but I couldn't shake the image of two clowns riding a bike for a good five minutes :o)

Someone used one of those bulb horns on me the other day. For some reason, when I turned around I was expecting to see a clown with a red nose and big feet. Instead it was a couple on a tandem but I couldn't shake the image of two clowns riding a bike for a good five minutes :o)

That's the kind of thing that would leave me chuckling for far too long afterwards. Worth it though: laughter is the best medicine!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
What you need is Canti Brakes.The squeal on mine is way more effective than anything else. Peds are seen leaping out the way miles up the path.

They must think a derailed train is coming up behind them.^_^

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
What you need is Canti Brakes.The squeal on mine is way more effective than anything else. Peds are seen leaping out the way miles up the path.

They must think a derailed train is coming up behind them.^_^
Lol, actually it was a bike with canti brakes (my bro's cyclocross) but they aren't too loud ^_^
His freewheel got that reaction from one ped on wide rural road earlier in the ride, despite me passing 6ft or more from them ^_^

ShipHill

This reminds me of when I used to deliver parcels.

I always used to knock doors rather than press buzzers if I could. Obviously in blocks of flats I used the buzzer, but anyway one day I knock the door of a newish detached house in a new estate on the edge of town. A pleasant looking middle aged lady answered the door.

Her "Yes?"
Me "A parcel for a Mrs Smith"
Her "Oh yes" and she takes the parcel and signs my wee electronic gadget..." And what's wrong with my doorbell?"
Me "I have no idea. I don't use doorbells. I prefer to knock and I've known doorbells not work whereas a knock will always make a sound."
Her "Well kindly use my doorbell in future"
Me " Certainly.... unless I forget and I apologise in advance"
Her "Harrrrummmmphhhh"

Can't win either way in some situations really.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom