Lon Las Cymru to Capel Curig suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'm going to be doing the Lon Las Cymru south to north in a few weeks, peeling off towards the end to meet up with some friends in Capel Curig. Looking at the map I'm a bit worried that the only roads across to Capel Curig look like main roads (A4086 and A5). Does anyone know what they're like? I could come in from the north and follow route 82 quite a way down the A5 to Llyn Ogwen. Looking at Google Maps there seems to be a track to the south of the A5 and River/Afon Lluygwy. Does anyone know if this is cycleable? I don't want to end up cycling on a fast busy road.

A4086 takes you over Llanberis pass which is a bit of a climb but good views looking back to the Snowdon horseshoe, the A5/route 82 is flatter and you get to cycle up the Ogwen valley. I'm not sure which track you mean though?

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Thanks. On the satellite view on Google maps there's a track from Gwern Gof Isaf campsite all the way into Capel Curig.

The Legend of Gelert Audax goes via Beddgelert to Capel Curig. The A498 is busy, but not horrendously so, and I'd say is quieter than the A5. You'd need your climbing gears as there's a long but consistent climb up from Nant Gwynant up to the Pen y Gwryd hotel (so the taffic is not fast) , but then it's a cracking, fast downhill ride to Capel.

I usually avoid the A roads, but the A498 is OK. Mostly holiday cars I suggest.

Handily, the Gwynant cafe at Llyn Gwynant, just before the climb, is excellent and will fuel you for the climb. If I can get up it, anyone can.

The track is not really for a roadbike and its only for a few miles along half of the ogwen valley. I'm not sure you even have access (track is barred at the capel curig end). Personally, I'd not be too bothered on either the A5 or the 4098 (either from the north or south). They're A roads but, as mentioned above, not too busy.

Dic Deryn

Über Member
I live nearby and agree that while these are "main roads" they tend to be reasonably quiet with the ubiquitous holiday makers making up the majority of traffic during the summer.
I often cycle from Beddgelert up Nant Gwynant (slow and steady climb) and worry more about the wind direction and the weather coming down off Snowdon than traffic levels to be honest. It is my preferred route into Capel Curig
The A5 is often cycled and can be enjoyable, but it is still the arterial route and will have HGVs and more local traffic.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom