london 2 spain charity bike ride ADVICE PLEASE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aqaleigh

hi
i am new to this site and have recently returned to cycling after several years away from the sport.
i am undertaking an unaided ride next summer from london to alicante (spain) for CANCER RESEARCH and hope to acheive this in approx 12 days.
The total mileage is around 950 and i am currently completing around 80-100 miles a week training and maxing at 50 miles in a single ride (around 4 hrs)
i am looking for advice on all aspects of touring especially the best routes through west france and if it is possible to just "wing it" with regards to sleeping arrangements etc.
ALL ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS WELCOME
HELP PLEASE
thanks
leigh

Tynan

Veteran
ferry to Santander?

sorry, but seriously, some searching will find several thread on just this sort of topic

sounds brill, perhaps you need to get some longer rides in, you don;t really find out subtle problems with fit and clothes until you spend a day in the saddle

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

cheers tynan

ferry to st malo - have looked on the site but there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice - i was hoping someone may have done a similar journey

Bigtallfatbloke

Is this just you or is it an organized thing?....

...I need somewhere to go and having lived in Southern Spain I have a hankering to go back .

There was a very cool thread on here a few weeks back by a guy who rode across Spain...excellent tips/advice.

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

hello bigtallfatbloke

no at the moment its just me and my bike - i am trying to stay away from an organized tour as i think doing this will be more fun and more of a challenge, i have family in moraira, costa blanca and thats where i intend finishing.
i've seen lots of your posts on here and need advice from experienced tour riders like yourself.
you'd certainly be welcome if interested, however due to my lack of experience i may hold up the pace
i'll have a look out for the thread you mentioned

cheers
leigh

Bigtallfatbloke

I'm just a beginner...there are WAY more experienced tourers on here like Friedel, Cycle tourer, and several others....but if I can help I will...what advice do you need?

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

just looking for training advice - and if its best to pre-plan stops at campsites etc. or just pitch the tent wherever, also the ride will be july/aug so will it be best to have a kip in the day and avoid the midday sun and then maybe ride into the night?
will it be possible to reach the fitness levels over the next 9 mths or so to average 80ish miles a day or is this a bit to ambitious?
cheers
leigh

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

just seen your deep purple link - where the folks live (moraira) there is a couple of guys living close by - mates of theirs and 1 used to play with pink floyd and the other with deep purple, so the trip may be right up your street

Bigtallfatbloke

just seen your deep purple link - where the folks live (moraira) there is a couple of guys living close by - mates of theirs and 1 used to play with pink floyd and the other with deep purple, so the trip may be right up your street

Who?

My wife and me cycled from Worcester to Gibraltar in 2002 and did not preplan any accomodation. We stayed in hotels and pensions for that trip and had no difficulty.

I have also cycled through France to the Med and done many other tours in France cycle camping. Never have I had a problem finding campsites or a place to pitch. In France most of the villages have a campsite or allow camping at their sports ground.

OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

cheers jay clock - JUST HAD A BRIEF LOOK AT THE SITE - JEEEZ THERE'S LOADS OF INFO ON THERE - HEADING BACK THERE NOW TO HAVE ALONGER LOOK

bigtallfatbloke - jools cooper (session man for floyd) and if i'm honest i cant remember the guys name with deep purple but the folks fly in sunday so i'll ask them and let u know

Top Bottom