London and Home Counties Cycle Chat Rides 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I didn't think you were exactly slow. You probably would have been quicker if you cut down on some of the gadgets you had on your handlebars :wacko:

Yeah I have been thinking of removing the brake levers that should do the trick. Oh and if i had thought about it taking the crap out of the panniers would help too.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
djtheglove said:
I thought it was just a matter of if you can turn up then do so and if you can't then don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is.

djtheglove said:
Why the formality?

I thought I was being more flexible not formal at all.

The agreed ride day amongst those at the first ride was the first Saturday of the month but as this is an informal gathering the day and even week have been changed to suit whoever is organising the ride. I am not that bothered when the ride is or who comes but would like to get as many as possible on a nice ride.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
stevevw said:
It is.

I thought I was being more flexible not formal at all.

The agreed ride day amongst those at the first ride was the first Saturday of the month but as this is an informal gathering the day and even week have been changed to suit whoever is organising the ride. I am not that bothered when the ride is or who comes but would like to get as many as possible on a nice ride.

Exactly so why are you asking individuals on this site which W/E suits them best!!!

It look's like , because you have met them, then you are specifically asking them when they can make it!

I could turn round and say actualy non of the weekends suit me, I work one on one off, and then my 14 year old son comes over on the other W/E so why don't you make all the rides on a wednesday to suit me!!

Just pick a W/E which suits you and stick to it if only one other turns up then you are winning as you then have company in which to ride.

Oh and by the way I am hoping to come on the 7th of March if you haven't already changed it!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
djtheglove said:
Exactly so why are you asking individuals on this site which W/E suits them best!!!

It look's like , because you have met them, then you are specifically asking them when they can make it!

I could turn round and say actualy non of the weekends suit me, I work one on one off, and then my 14 year old son comes over on the other W/E so why don't you make all the rides on a wednesday to suit me!!

Just pick a W/E which suits you and stick to it if only one other turns up then you are winning as you then have company in which to ride.

Oh and by the way I am hoping to come on the 7th of March if you haven't already changed it!
You sound a bit over-harsh here dj! I think Steve's just trying to ensure that as the ride is changing (and was anyway on an unusual day originally, a Sunday, the rest all being a Saturday) that it is changed to something that suits the majority who want to ride it, especially as it's a postponed ride that we were hoping to do in Jan.

He is probably, like me, worried about being Billy No Mates and leading a ride on a day that no-one else can make, whereas the following week would have had hundreds. We did have this 'first Saturday of the month' idea initially, which clearly is changing already, but enabled us to keep diaries free in advance for the rides. Or such was the plan.

Me, I can make any of them (as previously said), although would probably prefer the 7th as I've got two other rides between now and 28 Feb, both of which involve driving for over an hour and a half to the start, so a bit of a gap would be good for me - but only if it fits in with the wishes of the rest of you. Democracy can be a right pain at times like these!

DJ

I don't think I am being over harsh at all, if one group of people can't make it then the whole point of this being an open forum and not a fee paying club is that anyone can turn up and ride if they are available!!

To insure one group of people are included just cos you know them is infact even more likely to exclude other's you don't know, because it becomes a click, quite quickly, I once joined a club were everyone had known each other for year's and such a click had developed, they then were constantly scratching their heads wondering why they had no new members!

I also it's a non starter fishing around for dates when people are available, just doesn't work, you are never going to please everyone and that is the way of it!!

Steve did a great job in setting out, dates that people could pick up on and go with, if were not carefull the whole free easy come easy go feeling will be lost!

DJ

User1314 said:
Seriously. I appreciate it but don't plan the ride round my commitments! We do a mix of Sats and Suns we can please all.

Good and important thing is that there are loads of rides to choose from!

Bizarrely I didn't realise that the 7th is a sunday and that is the one I do think we should move as saturdays are usualy better, and CofG is in my view the founder of theses rides and i know he finds it hard to get along anyway.

So anyway I do believe I have made my point!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
djtheglove said:
Bizarrely I didn't realise that the 7th is a sunday and that is the one I do think we should move...
Thing is, it isn't a Sunday, it's a Saturday (at least in my diary, an Aldi one with a yellow labrador on the front, so it might not be 100% foolproof!). We're talking Saturday 7th March here, right? Which I think is probably a good date to pick... all things being equal. Stevevw wouldn't be Billy No Mates on that date as I'd be there at least :biggrin:

User1314 said:
I also agree we should not be a clique.

Of course dates will change. And I understand the point about Billy no mates. But hopefully there is enough of a momentum now that there will be at least x+1 on the rides! And that constitutes a ride!

I believe the first London CC ride was Tdr1nka and a.n.other (sorry can't remember who) cycling 100 metres to the pub.

At this rate we will have to have an Annual OFFICIAL London/Home Counties CC Ride / day out. We could probably get enough on that ride to make Critical Mass look like a small pimple!

THEN WE COULD TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

:laugh:

Cold pub :laugh:

DJ

Ok so it is a Saturday (scratches head)? As I think I previously said I would very much like to come, but as I also previously said it is difficult for me to get away on any weekend!
Steve you already have one taker for your ride, so what's the big deal, just go with flow ,I am sure other's will turn up!

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
first post now updated with March 7th ride link and a slight change to Auntie Helens May Essex cream tea ride, now NO off road.

OP
OP
stevevw

stevevw

Guru
User1314 said:
And the July date falls between my wedding anniversary and my wife's Birthday.

Falls between so you will be Ok for the ride then. :rofl:

November Ride should be the 28th to commemorate the First one you led. So that could be the December ride 1 week early. What do you think?

Top Bottom