London Calling - BA advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Does anybody else think it was a bad idea to use The Clash's 'London Calling' in the new British Airways ad? The lyrics "engines stop running" won't do much to calm nervous passengers!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
no one takes notice of ads these days.
Everyone has pvr's and hard drives so record and skip ads.
Well I do anyway.

Durian

Über Member
BA can advertise all they like but they won't be getting my business any time soon. Always the most expensive and the cabin crew (or whatever they like to be called these days) are far too up themselves.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm proud to say that I haven't used BA for about 15 years; they have the longest necks in the industry, they are the proof of the marketing adage that if you charge too much for a product or service you can fool the gullible into believing that it's somehow better. They also have the snottiest aircrew in the world.

(Good ad though - I wonder how much they paid to use that music? The agency must have been inspired by the Bond film where the baddie parachutes into The Mall.)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'm proud to say that I haven't used BA for about 15 years; they have the longest necks in the industry, they are the proof of the marketing adage that if you charge too much for a product or service you can fool the gullible into believing that it's somehow better.

Just imagine what they will be like when they get their Whalebuses! (A380).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yawn! I've already been on the A380s with Air France to Johannesburg.

And?
That won't stop them!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I love the Clash, and London Calling is a great song.
I agree, Joe Strummer wouldn't be too chuffed about it being used in an ad.

I really wish I had been born earlier, so I could have seen the Clash live. I did get to see Joe Strummer at Glastonbury which was good, but not the same as the Clash.

Davidc

Guru
BA are sometimes cheaper than everyone else, that's why I've occasionally used them.

A few years ago they tried landing a 757 at Heathrow when the engines stopped running. Didn't seem to be a great success though. (Fortunately no-one was hurt).

lozcs

Guru
I love the Clash, and London Calling is a great song.
I really wish I had been born earlier, so I could have seen the Clash live..

I did, 1978, Victoria Park, Rock Against Racism.

(although I was 5 years old at the time and don't remember a thing)

:sad:

Top Bottom