London Calling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shimano

dondare, I reckon you must be as big a wind-up merchant as the guy that wrote the OP's article. That was clearly written just to fill up a blank column in a contentious manner to generate replies to fill up more blank spaces. If you seriously drive a car two miles (maybe take you 40 minutes tops to walk) in the City with the C charge, cost of fuel, insurance, RFL etc then you've clearly more money than sense! - em - no offence mate...

OP
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
shimano said:
dondare, I reckon you must be as big a wind-up merchant as the guy that wrote the OP's article. That was clearly written just to fill up a blank column in a contentious manner to generate replies to fill up more blank spaces. If you seriously drive a car two miles (maybe take you 40 minutes tops to walk) in the City with the C charge, cost of fuel, insurance, RFL etc then you've clearly more money than sense! - em - no offence mate...

Of course that was a wind up. Having failed to get a sensible reply to the column or to anything else over the last two weeks printed or posted; I wrote a comment which specifically pandered to the prejudices of the editors and BINGO!! Up there in seconds! They seem to have been unable to post it all, possibly because of the apostrophy but then they posted the next one (by "Alice Cooper" for Gods's sake) because it condemned cyclists. I reckon the editor must have powerful reasons for hating cyclists, it's not just a silly-season page filling exercise.

Freewheeler

Bah, I should have read this thread more carefully. I fell for the 'Alice Cooper' one hook line & sinker, pointed out that I pay income tax, council tax and road tax (didn't feel like getting into the VED vs Tax debate). Asked why I should pay extra for leaving the car at home. Needless to say it hasn't appeared, but you guys are getting ever more ridiculous stuff printed.

I've lost count of the number of times I've picked up a broken leg. I must have been into intensive care a couple of dozen times - the nurses groan every time they see me coming.
;) :eek:

OP
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
Because the actual truth about cycling is that it's neither antisocial nor suicidal; that cyclists are ordinary people and cycling is a perfectly normal thing to do. Dull, dull, dull. That column asks readers to vote at the end; "More or Bore". How d'you think they'd vote?

PBancroft

dondare said:
Because the actual truth about cycling is that it's neither antisocial nor suicidal; that cyclists are ordinary people and cycling is a perfectly normal thing to do. Dull, dull, dull. That column asks readers to vote at the end; "More or Bore". How d'you think they'd vote?

Then sensationalise it. Wrap it up inside something else - save £xxx a year the easy way, beat the jams, get fit for free... not great examples, granted. But there has to be something there. That's how most promotional adverts work afterall, they sell a lifestyle ideal rather than the actual product.

Top Bottom