London Calling.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Living slap bang between manchester and liverpool my commute from Wigan to Skem is an 16 mili round trip , mostly hassle free. Get the odd nobber though

How you lot ride round London is beyond me , everyone on ALL forms of transport seem complete retards with blatent disregard for each other !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You couldn't be more wrong actually.
Cycling in London is great. There are so many cyclists that motor vehicle drivers know how to act around them.

L14M

Über Member
Yep, when your on a good road with loads of cyclists its easy, its when you get slightly out of london, still on busy roads but faster and less cyclists and more cars it gets bad!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
+1 to the above. Sheer weight of numbers (on many peak-hour roads, there are more cyclists than cars) means everyone is aware of you.

Kies

I am never scared in London, but a fast A road out west makes me nervous with cars/lorries whizzing past at 60mph

I love riding in London so much that I bought a folder so I could get there by train when I want to rather than when the train companies were willing to carry me. Roll on some better weather then I, my Tern and my Senior Rail Card will be seeing the metropolis regularly.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Cycling is by far the best way to get around London. There are a lot of A and even B roads around here that scare me far more than any in London.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Congested cities are quite safe if you have your wits about you.

Kies

I love riding in London so much that I bought a folder so I could get there by train when I want to rather than when the train companies were willing to carry me. Roll on some better weather then I, my Tern and my Senior Rail Card will be seeing the metropolis regularly.

I bought my Dahon for commuting. 20 miles each way, every day plus a working day was too much for me, but with the Dahon i can ride to the station, ride around London visiting customers and back again

crazyjoe101

I too love cycling in London, feels very safe when the majority of traffic is moving at a slower speed than you and there is a lot to see, or in my case, discover. I go to places I couldn't be bothered to see on foot or public transport. Not that I have many anyway, but I also note that I have fewer negative encounters with drivers in busy parts of London. They simply aren't 'in control' of the interaction, as in I will be filtering past or following them in primary rather than being overtaken as on faster, less congested roads.
Edit: One thing which does really annoy me are the minority of cyclists who think they're invincible and couldn't give a t*** about anything else unless it's pedal powered and going quicker than them, which I seem to have only met in London due to the larger number of cyclists there, however you'll get those anywhere I suppose, albeit in a lower concentration.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cycling in heavy central London traffic is enormous fun. You have to keep your wits about you of course, but the drivers are wonderfully good, almost without exception. The "almosts" give you a scare a few times a month, maybe, but that is a small price to pay for a sense of freedom and total independence.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Better than using the tube/train.More direct for me.I can virtually guarantee every commute I will get to my destination roughly 45 minutes later which is faster than the tube/train anyway.Plus my bike runs on demand,unlike the tube/train.

Top Bottom