London City Police Clamping Down on RLJs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
skwerl said:
hmm. do you have the HC rule? They're surrounded by diagonal lines/chevrons inside broken lines which means there's no rule forbidding entry. The bollards have a blue, keep left arrow on them but those are positive instructions, not orders.

We've done this to death. If it's got chevrons and even a white line that is broken the HC is quite clear about what you should do. Whether there is a bollard and a keep left arrow is on top of this.

marinyork

mm101 said:
Blue circle signs give mandatory instruction

Irrelevent and you are wrong they mostly do give positive instruction. The issue is arrow signs, some are in rectangular boxes and are still mandatory.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
RLJing is just plain stupid, don't do it. If you do and get caught DON'T whine about it it is your own stupid fault, what make you think you are somehow above the law, it applies to all of us...

Origamist

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
Irrelevent and you are wrong they mostly do give positive instruction. The issue is arrow signs, some are in rectangular boxes and are still mandatory.

My recollection is that most regulatory signs at traffic islands have keep left arrows on a circular blue background. This is a positive/mandatory instruction.

marinyork

It's the arrow which is the important bit. Anyway as I've already said even if there were no arrow there were chevrons. It's pretty clear what you should be doing. It's even more clear beyond that overtaking at a pinch point in the wrong direction is not a great thing to be doing.

Origamist

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
It's the arrow which is the important bit. Anyway as I've already said even if there were no arrow there were chevrons. It's pretty clear what you should be doing. It's even more clear beyond that overtaking at a pinch point in the wrong direction is not a great thing to be doing.

Yep, my point exactly.

marinyork

Origamist said:
Yep, my point exactly.

Ah, well we're a minority I'm afraid, there are many people round here who think that only direct laws should be obeyed and that behaviour otherwise is fairly irrelevent.

Dan B

Disengaged member
marinyork said:
Ah, well we're a minority I'm afraid, there are many people round here who think that only direct laws should be obeyed and that behaviour otherwise is fairly irrelevent.
Which is doubly worrying when it turns out (as it often does) that they don't even know the law.

mm101

marinyork said:

Not wishing to get into a protracted debated about this..

The HC says: signs with blue circles but no red borders mostly give positive instruction

The DfT Know your road signs says: blue circles generally give a mandatory instruction such as turn left or indicate a route available only to particular classes of traffic e.g. buses and cycles only

The sign we are talking about falls under the category of a "regulatory sign" as you have to stick to that side of the road. Or, for instance, at a roundabout it is mandatory which direction you enter and move.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
It is against the law. Pedestrians often use them as a half-way house and are less likley to look in the opposite direction of traffic flow.
Hmmm. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing here? On my route home, there are several 'traffic islands', by which I mean little 'islands' usually with a lamp-post in the middle of them, that pedestrians can use as a staging post as they cross the road. Is it actually illegal for me to go past those on the right hand side of the road? (I do, quite often, if there's a stationary line of traffic on my side, with a car too close to the island for me to get thru' the gap. So long as there are no pedestrains around and it's otherwise clearly safe of course.) I ask not least because it's never occured to me that I was doing anything even borderline illegal - I'd have no hesitation doing it right in front of plod. If it really is strictly illegal, I'd be a bit more circumspect in future.

marinyork

I know what the highway code appendix with the signs says, that's where I quoted from. This blue sign issue comes up a lot. Not all men are greek.

The point is I think it would be better to point out the arrow aspect as that is what the sign is saying, as the rectangular arrow signs in blue are very common. All that will happen is someone will come along eventually and say yeah but mm101 said that all blue circular signs are mandatory, that means I can avoid the square and rectangular ones.

Origamist

Legendary Member
swee said:
'traffic islands', by which I mean little 'islands' usually with a lamp-post in the middle of them, that pedestrians can use as a staging post as they cross the road[/B]. Is it actually illegal for me to go past those on the right hand side of the road? (I do, quite often, if there's a stationary line of traffic on my side, with a car too close to the island for me to get thru' the gap. So long as there are no pedestrains around and it's otherwise clearly safe of course.) I ask not least because it's never occured to me that I was doing anything even borderline illegal - I'd have no hesitation doing it right in front of plod. If it really is strictly illegal, I'd be a bit more circumspect in future.

Pedestrian refuges. You need to check the signage and road markings. As I mentioned, most of the ones I see have a keep left sign, often on a bollard.

mm101

"The point is I think it would be better to point out the arrow aspect as that is what the sign is saying, as the rectangular arrow signs in blue are very common. All that will happen is someone will come along eventually and say yeah but mm101 said that all blue circular signs are mandatory, that means I can avoid the square and rectangular ones."

I see your point MY :evil:

But I would rather people read and see for themselves than take my word on anything! Road signs are their to help and instruct and it is vital people should know them and their meanings before using the road.

skwerl

mm101 said:
Not wishing to get into a protracted debated about this..

The HC says: signs with blue circles but no red borders mostly give positive instruction

The DfT Know your road signs says: blue circles generally give a mandatory instruction such as turn left or indicate a route available only to particular classes of traffic e.g. buses and cycles only

The sign we are talking about falls under the category of a "regulatory sign" as you have to stick to that side of the road. Or, for instance, at a roundabout it is mandatory which direction you enter and move.

This is interesting. I've never seen this doc before. I've always gone my what the HC says as being the offical rules of the road. The DfT above makes things quite clear. The HC is far from it. I've always wondered what 'positive instruction' is meant to be. Seems these signs are actually manadatory. Why isn't the HC updated?

Top Bottom