London commuters...get it off your chests...

How do regular London commuters regard risk?

• I really get off on the danger that I put myself in. (Lucas Brunelle)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I like riding in traffic. It's like a game of chess...anticipating the other players' moves. A buzz.

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • It isn't ideal, but hey! what is?

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • HGVs should drive on the pavement. By the way, do they pay Road Tax?

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I love riding in London and will often do so for leisure, not just a commute.

It's not the buzz or the thrill, just the pleasure of keeping up with, or being faster than almost everything on the road. Plus the freedom to enjoy town, go where I want, stop when I want, get off and walk, cruise, pace it out...see a coffee shop and stop, just like that..everything. Riding out of town feel less safe to me, until I get far out of town (or out of the country) and find really deserted roads.(France is good for that)

So full on or totally empty suits me, everything else feels more dangerous.

Edit...survey needs a "none of the above"

Doing the riding in London thing, didn't half up my confidence riding in traffic. It makes riding in traffic in most other places an absolute cake walk.

markharry66

Über Member
Once you get past the dog mess, lemming pedestrians, bad driving. bad roads, idiot bus drivers where is there to cycle with such beauty. Sod the country its over rated.

Tynan

Veteran
I do like it, there's a lot to watch out for, to anticipate, it beats zoning out on the train

the one thing that i dislike, apart from headwinds, is the bloody potholes, loads of resurfacing at the mo but it just seems to make the remaining bad bits all the more objectionable

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
What risk? If I wasn't on the phone I'd post (not for the first time) Jo Wood's excellent article on and visualisation of the risk - search for "denominator neglect".

subaqua

What’s the point
Dog mess? Maybe on the canal towpath, not on the roads.
have you rode through Leyton recently. it is terrible.

regents canal has the blue dogsh1t bag decorations now the weather is warming up.

what really fecking annoys me at the moment though is the mile end road/whitechapel road where they have put in temporary segregation and if you ride out of it you get abuse and close passes but if you ride in it you get stuck behind dawdlers hardly moving.

segregation is going to be a bad thing along there,

oh and UKPN digging up CS2 by Greenway , and Thames water closing Greenway between Stratford high street and manor road. and the Greenway into the olympic park has been shut since well before the Games.

Top Bottom