London commuting diversity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's not close to matching the population profile as it does in the Netherlands though. It's a sign that we're still not quite in the big time of decent modal share, even if cycling has become a lot more popular recently.

jarlrmai

Veteran
It's the roads, confident affluent young to middle aged men are the group most likely to put up with the frankly hostile attitude on our roads.

Fix that and you'll see more a more diverse group of cyclists.

stowie

Legendary Member
...and even before the slip road work it has always felt safer to me - who wants to navigate Bow roundabout?!

I don't recall ever having a problem with a car on the flyover, and only several with other cyclists (Passing closer than I would like).

East-bound I have seen the odd driver undertake on the inside whilst another car is in the second lane overtaking a gutter-hugging cyclist. Not many occasions, but enough to make me realise the importance of taking the lane at this point. Eastbound was also easier on the roundabout recently whilst the exit to the A12 was closed, but now it has re-opened it is business as usual. The exit slip Eastbound is also normally so clogged that I end up filtering through the traffic and travelling with the flow instead of using the cycle lane anyway. A stroke of genius to have a bus stop on the approach so that cyclists have to enter the main traffic lane if they want to filter anyway.

I normally take the flyover unless the wind is such that I consider the flatter roundabout to be easier.

Top Bottom