London cyclist may have hit door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
You want the original, and then take note of how subjective and biased the original is: http://www.verulamcc.org.uk/Uploads/pdfs/2012/How we see - impact on cyclists.pdf
Yes the contrast between objects may have reduced contrast, but against the sun the contrast is massive. Fighter jets don't attack from out of the sun for the light, that doesn't affect the radar which will let you know the aircraft is there, they do to try and avoid long range missile lock: http://www.flightsimbooks.com/jfs/page31.php.

Fighters used the sun extensively in WW2. Attack from up sun was what was expected. The tiny manoueverable fighter was easily lost against a bright sun, still more one dispersed by haze. I suspect the technique is still relevant today notwithstanding the fantasy world of flightsimming.

I've just read a BBC article on this case and one of the judge's rulings during the trial is mentioned.

Does anyone have any background on how this decision might have been made?

As i understand it.....

Opening the door onto the road was not breaking the law, it was reckless or negligent.
Running a red light, for example, and hitting a pedestrian may bring a charge of "manslaughter by an unlawful act".

Sandra6

Veteran
While this is indeed tragic, and my heart goes out to the cyclist's family, surely there was fault on all three sides?
The cyclist shouldn't have been in the door zone, the driver shouldn't have opened his car door, and the bus should've been at a safe stopping distance.
I'm not sure what would be achieved by charging the driver with manslaughter, but to let him walk free seems ludicrous.
Is impairing your visibility in a vehicle to such an extent not an offence?? Seems mad that he can drive around like that in the first place.
I tend to think I'm fairly aware of the door zone, but the other day somebody opened a car door - not directly in front of me, I had plenty of time to avoid them, but it surprised me just how far out on the road I had to go to do so - almost onto the other side in fact.

postman

Legendary Member
I am sure the film put on front door windows is illegal.And drivers can be made to peel it off before being allowed to continue their journey.Why has no one picked this up.

sabian92

Über Member
Its not a Judge ruling though - A jury of 12 decided it wasn't manslaughter.

Yeah, I know, it does sort of feel like regardless of who made the decision, it will never be enough. A noncustodial sentence for killing somebody is insane. If the driver had pushed him under the bus he'd have gone to jail so for this to be as lax as it is screams of ridiculousness.

albion

Guru
Involuntary manslaughter has no intent. Voluntary includes intent though I;m not sure how the UK uses those definitions.

Found a link
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/homicide_murder_and_manslaughter/

There are two types of involuntary manslaughter, namely:
that caused by the defendant's gross negligence; and
that caused by his unlawful or dangerous act.

Gross negligence was obvious. Open a car door even a few inches and its near impossible to miss seeing a hurtling a cyclist.
And obviously using those windows is gross negligence

Ste T.

Guru
I heard the vine show. What struck me was the missed opportunity to talk about the door zone and how many cyclists feel pressurised to ride in it by other vehicles, even though it is probably the most dangerous part of any journey.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not helped when councils put crap like this in.
Only an experienced cyclist will have the confidence to ride outside the door zone here.

streetview?size=1024x1024&location=51.386587,-0.192629&sensor=false&heading=300.jpg

veloevol

Evo Lucas
I heard the vine show. What struck me was the missed opportunity to talk about the door zone and how many cyclists feel pressurised to ride in it by other vehicles, even though it is probably the most dangerous part of any journey.

These new fangled concepts such as door zone and taking the lane don't bode well with old media. A populist audience get fed a regurgitated diet of cliches such as RLJ's, helmets and hi viz.

Top Bottom