London cyclist may have hit door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Bloody hell indeed :sad:

I used to work on Holloway Road. Just walking down it was "adventure" enough.

I shall word this carefully....

This is a tragic event, and we do not know the full details.

However if this is a case of the driver opening without looking it is a classic and all too common mistake, but the results never hit the papers or news.

IF this is the case then we could make some meaning of this tragic loss (providing relatives are happy) by highlighting just how dangerous the "door zone" really is.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Sounds similar to one which happened in new Zealand last year. In that case the driver got a jail sentence.

Rip!

However if this is a case of the driver opening without looking it is a classic and all too common mistake, but the results never hit the papers or news.

Indeed, doorings are one of the leading causes of cyclist serious injuries in London accounting for 8% of all serious injuries. It is also illegal to open a door so as to endanger or injure someone.

John90

Über Member
Indeed, doorings are one of the leading causes of cyclist serious injuries in London accounting for 8% of all serious injuries. It is also illegal to open a door so as to endanger or injure someone.

It's the greatest fear I have on the road. I know one is supposed to cycle over a door's length away from parked cars but it is a practical impossibility on some streets. I've also been told that if confronted with an unexpectedly opened door one should ride into the open doorway while braking hard rather than swerve to avoid it but I suspect instinct would lead me to do the latter & head into the path of any following vehicles.

Rest in peace.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thoughts go out to his family and friends.
R.I.P

JamesAC

It's the greatest fear I have on the road. I know one is supposed to cycle over a door's length away from parked cars but it is a practical impossibility on some streets. I've also been told that if confronted with an unexpectedly opened door one should ride into the open doorway while braking hard rather than swerve to avoid it but I suspect instinct would lead me to do the latter & head into the path of any following vehicles.

Rest in peace.

Why is it impossible? I suppose if the street was narrower than two door widths, and there were cars parked on each side of the road?

The riding into the doorway strategy only works if you're cycling the same way as the car is facing. If the car is facing towards you. then an opening door is bound to push you out into the path of either a following or approaching vehicle.

Sad news.

John90

Über Member
Indeed, I went down one like that with some other CCers this very afternoon.

That, and also wider, busy streets where you have to keep moving into secondary to let traffic by. OK, maybe HAVE to isn't totally accurate, but advisable if you are to avoid serious road rage. Croxted Road in London going up to Crystal Palace is an example (the bit beyond the bridge in this link is typical of much of this road).

RIP poor chap, deepest condolences to the bereaved...

On Friday evening as I cycled home, a woman stood out from between behind her car walked to the door and opened it.

Yes I foresaw and took evasive action and as I cycled past in a very sarcastic tone offered her a "thanks"

Her shocked reply was indicative that she had not seen me at all as she came out from behind her car. There wasn't another car behind her car to obscure her view.

Years ago, long before I ever took up cycling, I parked up and open the door. A cyclist swevred, threw his bike to the florr and threatened to punch me.

Not advisbale action but never opened it again without looking. It wasn't that I didn't care, it just didn;t occur to me as there were far, far fewer cyclists and they weren;t sopmething you always looked out for.

Top Bottom