London cyclist may have hit door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Years ago, long before I ever took up cycling, I parked up and open the door. A cyclist swevred, threw his bike to the florr and threatened to punch me.

Not advisbale action but never opened it again without looking. It wasn't that I didn't care, it just didn;t occur to me as there were far, far fewer cyclists and they weren;t sopmething you always looked out for.
Where there also few cars on the road back then?

Where there also few cars on the road back then?

The road was wide that the cars were a way away and were also stationary due to traffic.

Dronespace

Regular
RIP
sad.gif

roadrunner20

RIP sad news indeed, did he have a helmet on out of interest?

About the door zone though i know many people have different views but when i cycle trying to cycle away from door zone is impossible on most of the roads due to the fact if you cycle away from the parked cars you are in essance cycling in the middle of the road.

With that in mind you going to slow up the traffic in in turn more likely to be overtaken badly or worse abused at/ GBH.

So its a hard call, is there a law that says where a cyclist should cycle in the road? if there is i have a bad feeling it says on the left hand side giving plenty of room for cars to move on his right. ie not in middle of road out of door zone..

sad news though to loose another biker

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
So its a hard call, is there a law that says where a cyclist should cycle in the road? if there is i have a bad feeling it says on the left hand side giving plenty of room for cars to move on his right. ie not in middle of road out of door zone..

That is total rubbish.

I would much rather cycle out of a door zone and get abuse from drivers/ close passes etc.. rather than cycle in the door zone and risk death if a door opens.
I rarely have an issue from drivers when i cycle out of the door zone. clear indications and thank you waves help.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
That is total rubbish.

I would much rather cycle out of a door zone and get abuse from drivers/ close passes etc.. rather than cycle in the door zone and risk death if a door opens.
I rarely have an issue from drivers when i cycle out of the door zone. clear indications and thank you waves help.

+1

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
About the door zone though i know many people have different views but when i cycle trying to cycle away from door zone is impossible on most of the roads due to the fact if you cycle away from the parked cars you are in essance cycling in the middle of the road.

I've seen this posted quite a few times, and IMO it's rubbish. It's almost always possible to cycle out of the door zone, and given that it's one fo the big causes of KSIs (killed and seriously injured), it's not one you should ignore. You're perfectly entitled to ride in the road in the middle of the traffic. If you can't cycle out of the door zone, then I'd want to be going at less than 5mph.

Here's a hierarchy of road safety to follow:
My safety
Your safety
My convenience
Your convenience

My safety comes at the top for riding out of the door zone, and the drivers' convenience in waiting behind me comes at the bottom of the list. That said I'll often pull left as soon as it's safe to facilitate an overtake. Share the road after all.

Buddfox

Veteran
That said I'll often pull left as soon as it's safe to facilitate an overtake. Share the road after all.

I do this too - usually in a somewhat exaggerated manner, so the driver realises I'm concious I may have been holding them up. They tend to appreciate the acknowledgement that I'm going slower but then they know why I'm doing it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've seen this posted quite a few times, and IMO it's rubbish. It's almost always possible to cycle out of the door zone, and given that it's one fo the big causes of KSIs (killed and seriously injured), it's not one you should ignore. You're perfectly entitled to ride in the road in the middle of the traffic. If you can't cycle out of the door zone, then I'd want to be going at less than 5mph.

Here's a hierarchy of road safety to follow:
My safety
Your safety
My convenience
Your convenience

My safety comes at the top for riding out of the door zone, and the drivers' convenience in waiting behind me comes at the bottom of the list. That said I'll often pull left as soon as it's safe to facilitate an overtake. Share the road after all.

Manners dear boy...

My safety
Your safety
Your convenience
My convenience

surely?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, not at all. If you do that, you'll be pulling over for every single motorist that comes up behind you, and you'll always cede your priority to other vehicles even when they are behind a give-way line.

I believe there's a difference between
"That cyclist is holding me up" and
"That cyclist is holding me up and doesn't care"
I am very new to cycling but have learnt a quick thumbs up is always appreciated.

I had no idea how dangerous the door zone was and this site has helped me greatly in things to look out for I did not know.

The horrible, horrible sad thing is that it takes a death to do this.

Top Bottom