London cyclist may have hit door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I note that your and Norm didn't complain when the original post was made, only when I pointed out it was a silly question. No surprise there then.
What may surprise you is that I agree with what you were saying, but I didn't think it appropriate to give the tired and irrelevant (IMO) debate any oxygen on a thread which marks someone's passing.

I'm new to this forum. Not gone through the thousands of previous threads but am an avid reader of the new threads since joining. I find the debates on here (when they don't get personal) really helpful. As mentioned earlier, it is horrible that a person has died to gain this, but I never reaslied how dangerous the door-zone was until this forum and it has certainly helped me.

I undertstand that it the forum is not and shouyld not be a school for noobs like me, but the to and fro of the debates is really helpful as it gives many more opinions and advice than I would ever get from reading a dry prose about what not to do.

I am sure everyone here is repectful of the poor cyclist and thier family, but the debate (again, when not personal) is good.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Indeed, doorings are one of the leading causes of cyclist serious injuries in London accounting for 8% of all serious injuries. It is also illegal to open a door so as to endanger or injure someone.
Yes, indeed, but I wonder how many times Police have actually prosecuted this offence. I doubt this is what happened in the above mentioned accident, but I've lost count of the times when a moton has gone to their car door, looked straight at me approaching and then opened it in front of me anyway.

Origamist

Legendary Member
If just one CC'er ends up staying out the door zone more often due to a topic like this, then some good has been done. That seems quite possible by the fact that two people so far have wrongly suggested how riding in the door zone is often necessary and unavoidable, rather than riding in the lane. Going by other topics on the same crash elsewhere, it seems this is a common perception.

It's not about victim blaming here - it's about avoiding a crash by correcting for mistakes by drivers. I don't see anyone being disrespectful or wasting time here. Well, no wasting time apart from our little sub-conversation.

If people want to post about the dangers of the door zone on a RIP thread, that's their prerogative. I think you and a few others genuinely mean well, but I maintain that it is inappropriate. However, what I objected to was the suggestion that we can learn lessons from this tragic event at this very early stage when scant information relating to the circumstances are known.

Cyclists adapting their behaviour to take into account the errors of others is understandable, but it does not tackle the problem of "doorings" at source. A campaign targeted at drivers and passengers on the dangers of opening vehicle doors without checking would be a good start (as would better enforcement), but limiting on street parking would be even better.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I read somewhere recently (was it on here) that Dutch drivers are trained to open the car door with their hand furthest from the door which automatically twists their bodies round to look out the window. Sounds like a very simple improvement to me and when I tried it yesterday it seemed to work.

That's all very good. OTOH I should imagine that doorings still happen in the Netherlands, and some of my friends there have made comments suggesting it's a risk they think about too. More driving training is a good thing, but I fear it'll never eliminate doorings entirely.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cyclist who died in Holloway Road named
by Tom Marshall
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
7:07 PM

Samuel Harding, 25, of Crouch End, was crushed under a single-decker 153 bus on Holloway Road, Holloway, at around 1pm on Saturday, near the junction with Jackson Road.

It is believed he was in collision with an open car door immediately before being involved in the accident with the bus.

Abrahim Getin, manager at Café Demsal, directly in front of the scene, said: “This was a freak accident. It was a little mistake, but it cost a life.”

Floral tributes were left tied to a lamppost at the scene.

David Chirico, 42, a cyclist who lives in Hercules Street, Holloway, who visited to pay his respects, said: “It’s extremely dangerous coming down this road – cars go extremely fast. It’s very difficult for cyclists, who have to go in the bus lane, and you don’t know when buses are going to pull out.”

Mr Harding is the third cyclist who has died on Islington’s roads this year.

Dr Colin Hawkes, 64, a leading child protection expert, was killed in a collision in Carleton Road, Holloway, in January, while painter and decorator Gavin Taylor, 40, died in Wolsey Road, Newington Green, in April. Holloway Road, meanwhile, claimed the life of cyclist Lisa Pontecorvo in 2008.

Chris Ashby, of Islington Cyclists Action Group, called for a 20mph speed limit to be extended from the borough’s smaller roads onto all main roads. He added: “It’s desperately sad. Our deepest sympathies go out to the family.

“We don’t know who is to blame, but we always advise cyclists to stay well away from parked vehicles. Drivers just so often open their doors and it’s the most frequent cause of a collision.”

A 31-year-old man was arrested and has been bailed to return to police in December.

An inquest was opened and adjourned into Mr Harding’s death this morning.

Detectives are appealing for witnesses to contact them on 020 8998 5319.

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/cyclist_who_died_in_holloway_road_named_1_989302

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That road looks pretty horrible. Door zone for quite some time and too avoid it you have to cycle in the middle of the bus lane. That can be daunting.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you are new to cycling and not very powerful then it is daunting. It's easy if you are confident and fast.

I've had plenty of bus and taxi drivers not overtake my safely when in the bus lane.

John90

Über Member
If you are new to cycling and not very powerful then it is daunting. It's easy if you are confident and fast.

I've had plenty of bus and taxi drivers not overtake my safely when in the bus lane.

It is a dilemma. I totally accept what everyone says about staying out of the door zone. It's the right thing to do in all circumstances. But a lot of drivers won't see it that way. They expect you to pull in for them, and then you have to stay in for the several cars that are following them. We all want to avoid aggravating drivers and whilst that is secondary to safety, it's the case that on some roads, busy residential ones with street parking for example, I would say most of the cyclists I see will ride in the door zone rather than hold up the traffic.

I agree. Until it is pointed out to you it is not one of the most obvious dangers on the roads.

Or they are encouraged to cycle in the door zone.

trumpington_dooring_lanes_01.jpg

Top Bottom