London cyclist may have hit door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find it disappointing that the discussion here is mainly about the cyclist doing things wrong as if he's the one to blame - even the title of the thread is that he hit the door. We tend to kick up enough of a fuss about the way the media report being hit by a car as "a cyclist collided with a car" yet here we are being much worse. By all reports a driver illegally opened his car door and knocked him into the path of a bus that killed him. The driver has been arrested. We should not be victim blaming like this

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Perhaps it's slightly less victim blaming and more seeing what sort of things we could change were we in the same situation? I don't think anyone feels this is the cyclist's fault. The dooring driver is the problem here, and perhaps also the bus for overtaking too closely.

Norm

I agree with BM.

On the available info, the blame is with the driver but that doesn't stop me pondering on what I would do in the same situation.

Mad at urage

RIP sad news indeed, did he have a helmet on out of interest?

About the door zone though i know many people have different views but when i cycle trying to cycle away from door zone is impossible on most of the roads due to the fact if you cycle away from the parked cars you are in essance cycling in the middle of the road.

With that in mind you going to slow up the traffic in in turn more likely to be overtaken badly or worse abused at/ GBH.

So its a hard call, is there a law that says where a cyclist should cycle in the road? if there is i have a bad feeling it says on the left hand side giving plenty of room for cars to move on his right. ie not in middle of road out of door zone..

sad news though to loose another biker
Roadrunner20, please, please get some cycle training, before you too become a statistic. I've seen far too many cyclists with your views pushed off by overtaking traffic (and usually end up apologizing for holding up the people behind).
I find it disappointing that the discussion here is mainly about the cyclist doing things wrong as if he's the one to blame - even the title of the thread is that he hit the door. We tend to kick up enough of a fuss about the way the media report being hit by a car as "a cyclist collided with a car" yet here we are being much worse. By all reports a driver illegally opened his car door and knocked him into the path of a bus that killed him. The driver has been arrested. We should not be victim blaming like this
Allegedly. A driver has been arrested in connection but is innocent until proven guilty.
Perhaps it's slightly less victim blaming and more seeing what sort of things we could change were we in the same situation? I don't think anyone feels this is the cyclist's fault. The dooring driver is the problem here, and perhaps also the bus for overtaking too closely.
+1 (and allegedly etc).

Origamist

Legendary Member

RL and Reg are right - we do not have enough information regarding the road layout, positions, speeds etc of the vehicles involved to make an informed decision as to what we would have done differently (if anything) in the "same situation".

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I note that your and Norm didn't complain when the original post was made, only when I pointed out it was a silly question. No surprise there then.
So no possibility that you simply replied fist. My god you are an arogant man.
Also congratulations on slinging mud in a thread about a dead cyclist. Hope you are very proud.

d87heaven

I wonder what the stats are for being injured by car doors in Holland. Plenty of compulsory(?) cycle lanes that put you in the door zone there, but they do have greater awareness of cyclist.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
RL and Reg are right - we do not have enough information regarding the road layout, positions, speeds etc of the vehicles involved to make an informed decision as to what we would have done differently (if anything) in the "same situation".

Do you think I meant *exactly* the same situation? :rolleyes:

I wonder what the stats are for being injured by car doors in Holland. Plenty of compulsory(?) cycle lanes that put you in the door zone there, but they do have greater awareness of cyclist.

I read somewhere recently (was it on here) that Dutch drivers are trained to open the car door with their hand furthest from the door which automatically twists their bodies round to look out the window. Sounds like a very simple improvement to me and when I tried it yesterday it seemed to work.

Origamist

Legendary Member
*Reaches for O's pedantry remote control*

It's about exhibiting some restraint and respect on RIP threads.

At the moment, "seeing what sort of things we could change were we in the same situation" is a waste of time when very little detail is known about the incident.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's about exhibiting some restraint and respect on RIP threads.

At the moment, "seeing what sort of things we could change were we in the same situation" is a waste of time when very little detail is known about the incident.

If just one CC'er ends up staying out the door zone more often due to a topic like this, then some good has been done. That seems quite possible by the fact that two people so far have wrongly suggested how riding in the door zone is often necessary and unavoidable, rather than riding in the lane. Going by other topics on the same crash elsewhere, it seems this is a common perception.

It's not about victim blaming here - it's about avoiding a crash by correcting for mistakes by drivers. I don't see anyone being disrespectful or wasting time here. Well, no wasting time apart from our little sub-conversation.

Top Bottom