London cyclist may have hit door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Or they are encouraged to cycle in the door zone.

trumpington_dooring_lanes_01.jpg

Which is one and the same in my eyes.

Tommi

Which is one and the same in my eyes.
I see that as hostile infrastructure betraying you. It's supposed to keep you safe (along the lines of "stay on your lane and you'll be fine") - you don't see many car lanes where you're supposed to *not* stay on them, do you?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I see that as hostile infrastructure betraying you. It's supposed to keep you safe (along the lines of "stay on your lane and you'll be fine") - you don't see many car lanes where you're supposed to *not* stay on them, do you?

This is what I am saying. Until you know the dangers on the door zone you may well presume that a cycle lane in safe.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Taken from YACF and written by CotterPin (also of this parish):

I am an irregular correspondent on these pages but I thought people may like to know that around seventy people including close family and friends of the cyclist turned out for an emotional gathering last night. The young man's father made a short but excellent speech about his son. A minute's silence was observed. The event had been organised by the Islington Cyclists' Action Group (we have done this on each, thankfully rare, occasion a cyclist has died on the borough roads) and we were thanked by family and friends for our efforts.
Stephen

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=50481.0

More than that, if you try to cycle there and ignore the red cycle lane to stay out of the door zone, drivers get really upset with you and start to present a different sort of danger to you. Its a question of either finding the right balance between being doored or being hit or find another route (which in this case if difficult).

400bhp

Guru
Kenan Aydogdu, 32, of no fixed abode, appeared at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Tuesday.)
Mr Harding, 25, died after being in collision with a 153 bus in Holloway Road, Holloway, as he cycled to his girlfriend’s house on August 6 last year. He worked for an online travel firm and had been living in Stroud Green Road, Finsbury Park.
Mr Aydogdu, who had been arrested at the scene, was remanded on bail to appear at the Old Bailey in June.
I haven't read this thread but just clicked on your link. So the accused was the bus driver? Seems odd he has no fixed address?

Always sobering reading these stories. :sad:

I haven't read this thread but just clicked on your link. So the accused was the bus driver? Seems odd he has no fixed address?

Always sobering reading these stories. :sad:

The accused is the door opener, not the bus driver. Which is correct, I think.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
I note that "someone of no fixed abode" was the driver. Wonder what his address was on his driving license/insurance certificate/log book if indeed he possessed any of the aforementioned documents.

mumbo jumbo

Manslaughter! I suppose if the car was parked, causing death by dangerous driving and driving without due care and attention weren't available offences. Just as well because driving without due care and attention (the usual offence the CPS tend to pick becuase of the lower burden of proof) attracts such pathetic penalties when loss of life is involved. If the guy goes down for dooring, hopefully that will gradually seep into motorists' consciousness and tragic incidents like this will diminish.

Best advice, of course - as has been said above, is not to ride in the door zone in the first place.

mj

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
If the guy goes down for dooring, hopefully that will gradually seep into motorists' consciousness and tragic incidents like this will diminish.

Best advice, of course - as has been said above, is not to ride in the door zone in the first place.

mj
Those two things are only likely to happen if this tragic case is reported on the TV news instead of a minor local rag.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I don't know how but I missed this thread when it first appeared. What a terrible story. I wish it would be highlighted to try and educate people as to the dangers of opening the door without looking.

I got doored three years ago and was seriously injured - and then about a year ago I had a terrible near miss where I was overtaking a parked car as another car was trying to overtake me - the parked car opened the door and it was only my ear piercing scream that alerted her to my presence - she (miraculously) pulled the door and I missed it by a whisper.

I have to say though that I find it very very difficult to cycle really far out from the parked cars - I do try but I often end up with a very angry driver behind me and I find this intimidating.

I try to not ride too fast and keep a real eye out for cars that have somebody in them.

I don't know what the answer is - I wish I did - it puts me off cycling sometimes and I always feel aware that I may not come home one day which is a terrible way to think.

I do agree with an earlier poster though that hand signals do really help - recently I have adopted a "back off" hand signal when going around parked cars with a big clear thumbs up when I have been given room and time to make my maneouver.

My husband thinks that these sorts of hand signals are useful becuase a lot of drivers umm and ahh about whether to overtake or pull out and your hand signal will make their minds up for them - makes sense to me!

atbman

Veteran
I wonder what the stats are for being injured by car doors in Holland. Plenty of compulsory(?) cycle lanes that put you in the door zone there, but they do have greater awareness of cyclist.

Dutch drivers are taught/required to open their car doors with their right hand, i.e. the hand furthest away from the door. This puts them in a position where they pretty much automatically look back up the road as they have to twist their body to do so.

Translate that into left hand for our roads and the same thing would apply.

Top Bottom