London cyclists...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Took the day off work today and went down to London, helping out on a school trip to the Science Museum and The London Eye.

I wish I was as gutsy as some of the cycle commuters that I saw. Don't know how London cyclists cope with that level of traffic. Piccadilly/Duke of Wellington RAB looked v. scary, but no doubt there are worse places. Well done for staying in one piece fellas - hats off to you!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Why thank you!
When you next visit if you want to see cycles and traffic in 'perfect harmony, might I draw your attention to the Elephant & Castle RAB at evening rush hour, thats an impressive sight!

Tynan

Veteran
used to go through elly belly every day on my most excellent Tottenham/Morden/Tottenham commute, it mayhave changed but I thought it alright, big and clear and well laid out

crooked billet on the North circ now, so mad and bad they hadda put lights on it in the end, no fun having to stop and start a few times

more traffic is safer I always think and it learns you to deal with it

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tynan said:
used to go through elly belly every day on my most excellent Tottenham/Morden/Tottenham commute, it mayhave changed but I thought it alright, big and clear and well laid out
Respect...Most I did was Morden to Heffalump. I miss that commute, I might ride it one day just for the memories...
Anyway...why Morden if I may be so bold?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Elly Belly has lights on it now, but it can still be an absolute nightmare.
More traffic is better IMO but can concentrate the number of nutters and that goes for bikes as well as cars.
Much respect for the Tottenham/Morden commute, the longest I ever had was Brixton to Ladbrooke Grove and back, small fry by comparison.

mootaineer

I don't think London is all that bad. At least during peak hours traffic can be quite slow so I don't find it that dangerous. Traffic lights also tend to keep speed down.
It's when drivers are able to drive fast when frustration/stupidity tends to get the better of them.

I generally find most cars ok - apart from when they're not looking.
My least liked vehicles are:
- buses (big bullies)
- white van man (aggressive)
- large 4 x 4s (also bullies and tend to try to pass close at high speed)
- scooters (generally not as skilled or as "understanding" of cyclists as motorbikes)

I also find black cab drivers generally friendly - plus a good judge of speed and space.

Never tried Elephant and Castle during the rush hour - only on a Saturday morning.

Sorry...a bit of a personal rant... ;-)

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I quite like the Hammersmith Gyratory, you can get some real speed up...

Am planning a trip to Hanger Lane when I'm back this week, should be real fun!

wafflycat

Cycling in London's not bad. You just need to be alert and assertive. Indeed there are so many cyclists now, this helps as cyclists are expected to be about.

Lurker

tdr1nka said:
Why thank you!
When you next visit if you want to see cycles and traffic in 'perfect harmony, might I draw your attention to the Elephant & Castle RAB at evening rush hour, thats an impressive sight!

Correction mode on/

... cycles and other traffic in perfect harmony...

/correction mode off ;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Lurker said:
Correction mode on/

... cycles and other traffic in perfect harmony...

/correction mode off ;)

Sorry to correct your correction.
That statement should have read as;

...cycles and other traffic in 'perfect' harmony......

A little more emphasis on the irony of the statement.:blush:

T x

Tynan

Veteran
I had a lovely and well paid job with lots of OT in the Heales building on Tottenham Court Road, straight out to the pub every day, restaurants etc etc lovely

company went pop just before christmas and it was three weeks before I could get anything, by which time it felt like I'd been out of work for years

the first thing half decent that came up was Morden area, certainly a few miles past Colliers Wood anyway, double day shifts, I drove it, tubed it and finally cycled it, 15.5 miles each way as I recall, and in those days (eight years ago?) I rode in jeans, T shirt and trainers, knew nothing, I used to lie it, all the way into and then all the way out of London

all good fun at the time after some initial fitness issues, sadly the bike that knocked out all those miles for years and years is the one I'm riding again, bless it, it's most certainly done me proud for a £300 special

I'm debating spending a bit on to keep it as a spare, barring a possible new rear wheel and front hub it seems to be performing very well, that or I'm a powerhouse that could pedal a pallet of bricks to work

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I love cycling in London, its so much fun. Out here can be so much more of a nightmare.
Agree
Urban cycling/commuting is preferable to being out in the sticks IMO.
Can't beat London or other big city riding for an Adrenalin fix!

Top Bottom