London Edinburgh London 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, after much thought I've gone and registered. I haven't a clue at present whether I'll be fit enough or not, the good news is I'm actually riding again. Still running as well though, I won't ride under 4 degrees as I've fallen off before. I'll only be at the start if I feel I have a very good chance of finishing, will have a good idea how my fitness is before the end of March. More worried about finding my way than the actual ride, I'm not great with tech.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Assume there'll be drop bags (x2: you choose control locations) so this is not really an 'on the bike' issue.
Normal gears will be fine. A 'fixed' person can suggest a gear length if you go for just one.
Have to say if you're asking this, you need to enter a 400 and a 600 sharpish (but I share a datasheet).
Need a bit of mental reshaping. You should banish language like: "hopefully i finish" and you're riding/proving this for yourself: noone else really gaf.
Towels were provided last time, but be in the first 1000.
In the attachment : toe thingies ?????

I will have full finger gloves, arm and leg warmers and a down gilet in the saddle bag along with light weight shoe covers, I have come close to abandoning on a couple of multi day rides before now, you would be surprised how cold it can feel in open countryside even in the middle of summer.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ive got those too and they're great
But toe covers...in August?! :eek:
I decided not to carry Toe Thingies on PBP. Forecast was OK. First overnight (1830 start; dawn after about 300km before the pull into Fougères) was benign, short sleeved and just the best overnight ride ever. Pre-dawn climb up over the Roc on night 2 was cold but my feet were working and stayed warm (dawn at the top). So no Toe Thingies was the right choice (on volume really: I carried a mat, a down gilet and a silk bag and slept in controls).
I can't remember whether I put the Toe thingies on LEL but I rode till after dark each day, slept and started between dawn and 6 each day. But you never know what the next 5 days will offer. Would probably put in my Louth/Hessle bag next time. Relevant I've had frost bite in some toes and nip in a few more.
When you get tired, you get cold more easily, just when you need to be strong.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I used full shoe covers, which were in my kit carried from the start. The difference to others was I rode over-night all four nights and it was close to freezing going up the Devil's Beeftub in fog at 3am. It meant my feet were always warm and, because they were bright reflective neon, I tended to be visible as well.

Tribansman

Veteran
Yeah good point about being colder when you're tired. Ive just traditionally had a pretty minimalist approach to kit and am probably lucky that my feet (or the rest of me really) don't tend to get that cold. Usually go year round in shorts and only reach for the toe covers when it's close to or below freezing.

Also don't usually cycle through the night on multiple day rides.

Wonder whether age is a factor as I felt the cold even less when younger. Did the End to End when I was 21 in March in jeans, light fleece top and trainers. No gloves or toe covers or anything like that back then. Although was incredibly fortunate to only get a couple of mornings of rain and my route went all up the west side of England and Scotland!

Yeah good point about being colder when you're tired. Ive just traditionally had a pretty minimalist approach to kit and am probably lucky that my feet (or the rest of me really) don't tend to get that cold. Usually go year round in shorts and only reach for the toe covers when it's close to or below freezing.

Also don't usually cycle through the night on multiple day rides.

Wonder whether age is a factor as I felt the cold even less when younger. Did the End to End when I was 21 in March in jeans, light fleece top and trainers. No gloves or toe covers or anything like that back then. Although was incredibly fortunate to only get a couple of mornings of rain and my route went all up the west side of England and Scotland!
Are you planning to ride LEL (or similar)?
Is LEJOg your only multi-day experience?
IAMFI!

Tribansman

Veteran
Are you planning to ride LEL (or similar)?
Is LEJOg your only multi-day experience?
IAMFI!
Didn't get a place for LEL, have applied for Trans Pyrenees so fingers crossed for that. Also done a couple of 1200km audaxes and a 5 day tour through the Highlands. The audaxes were in late spring, Scotland in October to avoid the worst of the midges!

Top Bottom