London Edinburgh London 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
Just got home after finishing at 11.45 today. Left 11am on Sunday so well chuffed. Glorious but very tough ride, esp the sweltering climb over Chapel Fell and the wolds and moors on day 2.

Put in a 28hr 370 mile* last leg with hour long naps at Hessle and St Ives to finish in a decent time. Off to bed for a week!

*Edit: I'll never be a true audaxer, I just can't think in or use KMs

Last edited:

Tom...

Veteran
Just got home after finishing at 11.45 today. Left 11am on Sunday so well chuffed. Glorious but very tough ride, esp the sweltering climb over Chapel Fell and the wolds and moors on day 2.

Put in a 28hr 370 mile last leg with hour long naps at Hessle and St Ives to finish in a decent time. Off to bed for a week!

:notworthy:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Put in a 28hr 370 mile* last leg with hour long naps at Hessle and St Ives to finish in a decent time. Off to bed for a week!

Well done. Chapeau.

robjh

Legendary Member

Judging by the time you got home, it is very likely that I waved you off from St Ives, as I was on gate duty today from 3am to 1.15 pm with only short meal breaks.

It got surprisingly cold standing around outside before sunrise, and if you left St Ives in the dark I may well have been dressed like this, using a spare blanket from the bedding area.

20220812 LEL (6).jpg

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Really enjoyed being a volunteer for a couple of days at the start. I've done plenty of big outdoor events, walks, swims and this year Ride100 but this was my first time "helping". I will happily put my name forward next time as I got a real buzz from being a (tiny) part of this.

A bonus was meeting lots of enthusiasts and Tim, Ian and a smiling friendly chap who likes to be known for never showing mercy! I can report he doesn't look so menacing in his recumbent.

I hadn't planned it in advance, but on my way to a Scottish holiday on Wednesday morning I woke up in the Travel Lodge in Carlisle and realised I was only 5 miles off the course. The look of surprise on about a dozen riders faces at 8am as they crossed the bridge over the River Esk in Longton, to be greeted by shouts of "Loughton this way..." Priceless.

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm beginning to get the message that LEL may not be for me. Fell off and broke my ribs in 2017. This year my training has been messy for a variety of reasons, including Covid in February. Did a 300 two weeks ago, which went better than I expected and gave me some hope.

Anyway started on Sunday, it was going reasonably well, and I don't know what happened, but I was found unconscious at the side of the road before the first control. Memory is very patchy, as it often is with a head injury. I remember an altercation with a driver - swearing at me going up a hill and I remember stopping in a farm entrance, taking off my helmet and sunglasses. I've a vague idea the unconsciousness and the driver are linked, but its very possible that they weren't. I'll probably never know. Then I remember snippets of conversation with the ambulance crew. I was still unconscious when the police and ambulance got there and spent hours on a spinal board.

Spent the night in Addenbrooks hospital. Catscan, lots of tests, no skull fracture, no major internal bleed, discharged and told not to drive or cycle for two weeks. Care was exceptionally good, despite all the pressures they are under. Back at Debden campsite now.

So didn't even make the first control this time......

Glad you're OK. News filtered into St Ives on Sunday first of a rider lying by the road, then with police there and then taken away by ambulance, although the location was a bit hazy.
Thank heavens for our NHS.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That was fun. Because I wasn't expecting to be working I responded to @redfalo's call for volunteers - something to do rather than bumming around at home. In fact I got a job in June, so it turned into a good break from sitting behind a desk at home for 9 hours a day.

I was up at St Ives on Saturday for some of the setup (and the pub visit) and then spent Sunday as the first face of the St Ives control until the flood dried up to a tiny trickle. Mostly fun and games and very patient drivers (more than expected given a netball tournament at the school!) but there was a rather impatient supporters' car whose driver got sworn at and stood in front of as I let the riders through rather than accede to their self-importance. Oh, and Roger the Moneyman who wanted to stop and prove who he was rather than just following my signal and going straight through to the carpark to keep the roundabout clear for cyclists.

On Monday I rode down from St Ives along the home route to Chigwell, which was my base for the second part of the week. My longest ride since about 2019, and only about my fifth ride over 5k this year. I was pleased to arrive!

Then on Tuesday I helped Tim and the team set up the finish control and go shopping, and from Wednesday until yesterday around 7pm (except overnight) I was part of the control team. Mostly on computer duty but also occasionally stamping cards and presenting medals. I'm very proud that we managed to give everyone who wanted to the chance to photograph their stamped card before it got squirreled away to be checked - @Alien8 standards seemed to have slipped after I left, unless you've posted the wrong pic. So most people who rode will have had the misfortune to have met me a couple of times.

I was also some of the fingers behind the St Ives and Finish twitter accounts for a while.

Despite the dire predictions of the first couple of days, the estimated dropout rate was lower than last time - I reckon that most people who made it back to England made it all the way to Debden. The first two days were hard enough that people who were not going to finish dropped out quite early.

Despite the occasional complaints about the route through the North York Moors almost everyone who arrived was absolutely buzzing, or emotional for all the right reasons. Several people asked whether they could go out and do it all again. The overwhelming feedback at the control desk was positive - about the route, the support, the controls, the volunteers, the food (mostly at least...) - everything. Since people who are happy don't tend to give feedback I'd encourage the happy people to let the organisers know they were happy!

Nebulous

Guru
Glad you're OK. News filtered into St Ives on Sunday first of a rider lying by the road, then with police there and then taken away by ambulance, although the location was a bit hazy.
Thank heavens for our NHS.

Thanks - I'm feeling very grateful it wasn't worse. I have spent almost all my career working in care services, and am aware of the potential for life-changing injuries. It was just at the outskirts of Cambourne, on a road/lane called Broadway but the circumstances are unclear. I stopped in an opening, to dry my glasses and have a drink and thought whatever happened had happened there, but it appears I was a bit further along the road.

From police phonecalls to my wife it appears I was unconscious for a while and I may have been at the roadside for some time, so a lot of later riders would have seen it. I remember seeing something similar on PBP, with someone on a spinal board unconscious, and it had a big impact on me, so it must have been upsetting for some later riders....

Top Bottom