London Edinburgh London 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Good luck to all the brave souls taking part in this. I doff my cap to each and every one of you.
Having just completed 205 miles over 3 days, in ideal weather, with proper meals and 3 nights spent resting in proper beds for as long as I wanted - I really can't begin to appreciate the commitment and courage needed to complete LEL.. Mind blowing, actually.
Might pop down to one of the controls for a nosey at some point if I get the chance. Possibly Moffat.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I’m AE34 with 12:45pm start on Sunday. I’ve signed up for the real time tracking, so all you insomniacs awake at 3am will be able to see if I really am riding at that time and where I am.

All my prep is now complete , with a lovely easy ride this evening finishing a little before sunset. Now chilling for a couple of days before five days of adventure commence.

I go into radio silence during these events, no commentary or communication till after. No looking at screens for five days, it’ll be great.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Registration done. Good to catch with a few long dustance cycling buddies. Different start times and may or may not overlap during event.

890B343E-4DA3-4D4E-8E97-EC5041701BED.jpeg

DCB881F8-9EAD-4B2F-9903-C05ACD4FF5C3.jpeg

2F4CF284-34A3-4D81-97BC-4787C386CA8B.jpeg

Brandane

Legendary Member
I took a trip to Moffat today, in the car with bike in the back. I was there before the control officially opened, and the first 4 or 5 were already through and well on their way to Edinburgh.
I took the bike for a ride southbound to do some LEL spotting but I was too early for the bulk of riders. I saw maybe 20 of them heading north.
Did my own LEL (Lockerbie Ecclefechan Lockerbie :laugh:) before returning to Moffat. Was passed by a few riders on my way north, one of whom declined my offer of recently purchased Tesco (Lockerbie branch) cookies :ohmy:.
Amazing to see these guys (and one girl who I think was a participant; either that or a LEJOG'er as she was quite heavily laden - superb effort if she had got that far into LEL in that time, carrying 2 panniers).
Unfortunately have to work the rest of the week or I could have timed things better and seen more. Well done everybody; completely different league to my pathetic efforts!

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Who's that handsome, helpful, traffic cone moving LEL volunteer with the thumbs up? Oh, must be me. 👍
The finish in Loughton in Essex is looking for more helpers. Give the organisation a shout.

View: https://twitter.com/OlafStorbeck/status/1556382190098939906?t=iy3f6BYdisoS4pISqcXOrg&s=19

Nebulous

Guru
I'm beginning to get the message that LEL may not be for me. Fell off and broke my ribs in 2017. This year my training has been messy for a variety of reasons, including Covid in February. Did a 300 two weeks ago, which went better than I expected and gave me some hope.

Anyway started on Sunday, it was going reasonably well, and I don't know what happened, but I was found unconscious at the side of the road before the first control. Memory is very patchy, as it often is with a head injury. I remember an altercation with a driver - swearing at me going up a hill and I remember stopping in a farm entrance, taking off my helmet and sunglasses. I've a vague idea the unconsciousness and the driver are linked, but its very possible that they weren't. I'll probably never know. Then I remember snippets of conversation with the ambulance crew. I was still unconscious when the police and ambulance got there and spent hours on a spinal board.

Spent the night in Addenbrooks hospital. Catscan, lots of tests, no skull fracture, no major internal bleed, discharged and told not to drive or cycle for two weeks. Care was exceptionally good, despite all the pressures they are under. Back at Debden campsite now.

So didn't even make the first control this time......

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm beginning to get the message that LEL may not be for me. Fell off and broke my ribs in 2017. This year my training has been messy for a variety of reasons, including Covid in February. Did a 300 two weeks ago, which went better than I expected and gave me some hope.

Anyway started on Sunday, it was going reasonably well, and I don't know what happened, but I was found unconscious at the side of the road before the first control. Memory is very patchy, as it often is with a head injury. I remember an altercation with a driver - swearing at me going up a hill and I remember stopping in a farm entrance, taking off my helmet and sunglasses. I've a vague idea the unconsciousness and the driver are linked, but its very possible that they weren't. I'll probably never know. Then I remember snippets of conversation with the ambulance crew. I was still unconscious when the police and ambulance got there and spent hours on a spinal board.

Spent the night in Addenbrooks hospital. Catscan, lots of tests, no skull fracture, no major internal bleed, discharged and told not to drive or cycle for two weeks. Care was exceptionally good, despite all the pressures they are under. Back at Debden campsite now.

So didn't even make the first control this time......

Sorry to hear this. Heal well and quick chap.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here's another little story for you.
Rider Rimas Griganas, a friend of many from this forum. Rocked up to Debden on Saturday to help out and take in some of the atmosphere.
He registered there and then to ride the next day.
Knowing Rimas, that's no surprise. Bleedin' loony.

I'm back at the Debden control on Thursday when many of the riders are expected back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom