London Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
A friend is running this on Sunday for the second time ;).

Good luck Rich. He's trying for under 3 1/2 hrs, which is bloomin quick.

Anybody here done a marathon? I've done half the distance and couldn't imagine doubling it.

Nutters ;).

Abitrary

I'm thinking about it. I reckon it's all about taking it at your own pace.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Like when the snookers on at the Crucible, I think "yeah, I can do that" but when it comes to it I have to realise that it's not for me I can't do it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've done 50 marathons including the London 5 times. That's why my knees are screwed!

Abitrary said:
26 miles - I do more exacting shoots than that, when I've been eating correctly.

26.2 miles, you ignoramus. I'd laugh to see you blow up after 26 miles because you hadn't trained for the .2

I did the Dublin marathon, fulfilling a childhood dream - I lived in Ireland when it started and remember listening to it on the radio. Great fun and something everyone should do once.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Twenty Inch said:
26.2 miles, you ignoramus. I'd laugh to see you blow up after 26 miles because you hadn't trained for the .2

- I lived in Ireland when it started . .

You moved during the race!:smile::ohmy:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Must have been annoying being 1 minute outside an elite time.

I've run in the London marathon twice. I finished in 3:27 the first time. The last six miles were the hardest thing I've ever done.

Last year I was trying to keep up 7 minute miles. I developed a huge blister which burst at 14 miles. I hobbled along for another couple of miles then I just stopped and sat down by a side road. I didn't want to run any more because I wasn't going to get a good time and I did not want to hurt my feet any more. I did not want to walk it, because it always puts me off when I see people walking. Eventually the St John's ambulance came down. They insisted on putting me in a wheel chair with a blanket over me. They pushed me to their station where they confirmed I had a massive burst blister. Then I had to walk about a mile to the underground, which was full of people. I had to get back to the finish to collect my bag, only I was not sure exactly which stop it was. At one of the station two of the marshals cut off my chip and put a cross through my number to stop me cheating. I did not know exactly which stop was closest to the finish, so I ended up walking miles. When I got near the finish, I had to persuade the soldiers from the Parachute Regiment to let me through, because they were providing the security. Obviously they wanted to know why I dropped out. I had to tell them I had a big blister that burst. The only up side was I was running with someone else's number, so I do not have a DNF under my own name.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nah..... been cycling too long...don't want to do any muscle or knee damage.... I can run for about 30 minutes once I've built it up - generally muscle stiffness and soreness after that - I don't chance any longer

Last did it in '98, 3h43m, loads of training which made it pretty straightforward. The arrival of OW Jnr ended running at that distance, but allowed the introduction of cycling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buggi

Bird Saviour
i take my hat off to anyone who can run a marathon. i mean i can't even imagine running half the distance i cycle to work. its way too much hard work.

and as for ironman.... OMG!

Top Bottom