1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London Marathon

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by longers, 12 Apr 2008.

1. longers

longers Veteran

A friend is running this on Sunday for the second time ;).

Good luck Rich. He's trying for under 3 1/2 hrs, which is bloomin quick.

Anybody here done a marathon? I've done half the distance and couldn't imagine doubling it.

Nutters ;).

2. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

I'm thinking about it. I reckon it's all about taking it at your own pace.

3. OP
    OP
    longers

longers Veteran

Like when the snookers on at the Crucible, I think "yeah, I can do that" but when it comes to it I have to realise that it's not for me I can't do it.

4. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

piece of piss. You've just got to ignore the fatties huffing and puffing

5. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

26 miles - I do more exacting shoots than that, when I've been eating correctly.

6. OP
    OP
    longers

longers Veteran

That'll be the Domino effect ;).

7. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Yeah, Dom Tyler's posts have that effect on me, as well! ;)

8. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

I did it three years ago!! Loved it! 4 hours 32. My best friend Debs is running it tomorrow...so excited for her. We're off to cheer her on.

9. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I've done 50 marathons including the London 5 times. That's why my knees are screwed!

10. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

26.2 miles, you ignoramus. I'd laugh to see you blow up after 26 miles because you hadn't trained for the .2

I did the Dublin marathon, fulfilling a childhood dream - I lived in Ireland when it started and remember listening to it on the radio. Great fun and something everyone should do once.

11. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

You moved during the race!:smile::ohmy:

12. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

When I was younger(:smile:) I used to race 1/2 marathons, 10 miles and especially 10k's. One weekend, I did 3 half marathons and a race in Amesbury (15miles), for charity. I felt pretty fine and trained the next week as normal.

A few weeks later I did my first marathon, chuffing hell, it damn near killed me:sad: I couldn't run for ages:ohmy: So 26.2 miles is no mean feat. I do think there should be a 5 hour "running" cut-off, and then all the other finishers get a different medal. I don't think tht you can say you ran the marathon and do so outside 5 hours.

Oh, seeing as you ask, 2hrs 46m is my fastest marathon:thumbsup:

13. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Must have been annoying being 1 minute outside an elite time.

I've run in the London marathon twice. I finished in 3:27 the first time. The last six miles were the hardest thing I've ever done.

Last year I was trying to keep up 7 minute miles. I developed a huge blister which burst at 14 miles. I hobbled along for another couple of miles then I just stopped and sat down by a side road. I didn't want to run any more because I wasn't going to get a good time and I did not want to hurt my feet any more. I did not want to walk it, because it always puts me off when I see people walking. Eventually the St John's ambulance came down. They insisted on putting me in a wheel chair with a blanket over me. They pushed me to their station where they confirmed I had a massive burst blister. Then I had to walk about a mile to the underground, which was full of people. I had to get back to the finish to collect my bag, only I was not sure exactly which stop it was. At one of the station two of the marshals cut off my chip and put a cross through my number to stop me cheating. I did not know exactly which stop was closest to the finish, so I ended up walking miles. When I got near the finish, I had to persuade the soldiers from the Parachute Regiment to let me through, because they were providing the security. Obviously they wanted to know why I dropped out. I had to tell them I had a big blister that burst. The only up side was I was running with someone else's number, so I do not have a DNF under my own name.

14. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Nah..... been cycling too long...don't want to do any muscle or knee damage.... I can run for about 30 minutes once I've built it up - generally muscle stiffness and soreness after that - I don't chance any longer

15. Old Walrus

Old Walrus Über Member

Last did it in '98, 3h43m, loads of training which made it pretty straightforward. The arrival of OW Jnr ended running at that distance, but allowed the introduction of cycling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!