London Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
User76 said:
When I was younger(:smile:) I used to race 1/2 marathons, 10 miles and especially 10k's. One weekend, I did 3 half marathons and a race in Amesbury (15miles), for charity. I felt pretty fine and trained the next week as normal.

A few weeks later I did my first marathon, chuffing hell, it damn near killed me:sad: I couldn't run for ages:ohmy: So 26.2 miles is no mean feat. I do think there should be a 5 hour "running" cut-off, and then all the other finishers get a different medal. I don't think tht you can say you ran the marathon and do so outside 5 hours.

Oh, seeing as you ask, 2hrs 46m is my fastest marathon:thumbsup:

Well done (gritted teeth). My best was 2.49!

Melvil

I am in much respect of anyone who completes a marathon, let alone in a 'good' time.

I used to run 1/2 marathons and they were enough for me!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've done quite a few, my best time was 1:17:48 in Berlin on a Saturday. On skates, mind, I came ~400th out of 8000 odd skaters, just over 20mph. To put me in my place, the winners did it in 1:02:something.

simoncc

I've never run more than a mile since leaving school, even though I've cycled thousands of miles every year since then. Running is not my thing. But the London Marathon does give me some pleasure. I like getting out of bed at lunchtime on the day of the race (my usual Sunday getting up time) and hearing on the radio of people just finishing the marathon. It makes me feel lazy and decadent and sets me up for the Sunday lunchtime pint just perfectly.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
OT yellowfang, when someone who doesn't complete a race is declared DNF, is that said 'dee en eff' or 'dunpf'?

Hats off to Marathon runners all, but boo too for all the diverted traffic between Greenwhich and London Bridge that will have to drive down my road instead.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
FWIW TY!

OT
Dah, now I'd hoped it might be 'dunpf' for possible use as word to describe folk what get overstretched and never finish what they start.

Example;
'That bloke Cyril, you know, who gets overstretched and never finisheds what he starts.'

'Yeah, what about him?'

'He's a right Dunpf!

Flora seems to be a popular runner, loads of support I noticed. :rolleyes:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mrs alecetc came up with a classic: "how lazy are we, sitting on the sofa watching people run the marathon" :rolleyes:

(actually, she's since been out for a bike pootle, and i'll get a cheeky 20 miles in after lunch, before lazily watching paris-roubaix).

DLB

i've done 3...

number 1 i didn't train up enough for and i hit the wall (imagine your worst hangover ever multiplied by 10 and aching legs, stomach, shoulders etc and you get somewhere close). Time just under 5 hours and i swore i'd never do another.

The following year i used runners world mag to train properly and did it in 3. 52 my fastest time of the 3

the third was the london in 2001 and the experience was FANTASTIC. the run wasn't quite so good but i came in just over 4 hours.

What people don't appreciate when they decide to run one is the extra time it take to run/train AND the extra sleep you need. rom Jan to April i ran over 500 miles in training, Not that i'd talk anybody out of doing one - it's a great experience/achievement

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I loved every minute of mine, even the hard ones. Would hugely recommend doing it.

We did mutter something about running London next year when we were there last week. And then I saw someone with a broken leg doing it on crutches, so shut up about my own aches and pains.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Cathryn said:
I loved every minute of mine, even the hard ones.
Graaar :biggrin:

I thought the Masai chaps running thhis year must have had some rude awakening, runnnig in order to sort out water supplies where they live, only to see squillions of bottles chucked about, 30% of which are not recycled in any way (big up to the 70% though) but what a shitter to see such waste. And I was impressed with their car-tyre running shoes... kind of puts the £70 trainers into perspective, methinks. :biggrin:

Top Bottom