london-Marrakesh fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

james.rh

hi, i am an 18year old student currently living in london. In 3 weeks time i am setting of to morroco on my fixed gear bianchi (which i bought off an old man for £30). I will be travelling alone for the 2500 mile route which i have chosen, carrying the minimum ammont possible- about 5kg. i would be very grateful for any advice from anyone who has either done this or a simular route or any experienced fixed gear tourers. is there anything particualy vital which i should take. also is it worth getting a rabies jab?

samid

Guru
Not to sound smartass or anything but if you're leaving on a 2500 mile fixed gear ride to Africa in 3 weeks with 5kgs of gear - isn't it a bit too late to ask for advice on what to take?

andym

Über Member
Hi

You might want to look at this blog

http://pompinos.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to the beginning for the stuff about what stuff they took. Note they rode singlespeed.

I did ask him 'how did you manage to reach a top speed of 73 km/h on a fixed bike - weren't your feet going round rather fast?' and he pointed out that they did the ride on singlespeeds rather than fixed. I'd have thought that one of the issues with a fixed, apart from the obvious one of getting up long hills, would be the issue of getting down them again. So, apart from anything else, and at risk of sounding like your Dad, make sure you have front and rear brakes.

I'd also take a nice big spare sprocket so that you've got a bail out option.

Good luck.

samid

You're right, but weren't you 18 ever? ;-)

OP
OP
J

james.rh

samid said:
Not to sound smartass or anything but if you're leaving on a 2500 mile fixed gear ride to Africa in 3 weeks with 5kgs of gear - isn't it a bit too late to ask for advice on what to take?

obviously i have the basic essentials- tent, stove, ect. i was just hoping more experiened riders would point out smaller things that i will find useful but may not have thought of.

thanks for the link andym, i have added a larger single speed sprocket to the other side of my hub so i have that option avalible on big climbs or decents.

ASC1951

Guru
James, you are clearly barking mad. You will go a long way in life, if you survive this, and listening to advice will only detract from the whole experience.

So here is my 10p worth. Always assume that strangers are friendly, helpful and honest. Most people are; and to be occasionally disappointed is much easier than looking over your shoulder all the time.

dudi

Sounds like a great trip! I have no advice to offer, but i am exceedingly jealous.
I'd love to do something like this, but it's never going to happen.

good on ya, and take a lot of photos to share on your return!

Oh, pack some immodium (to stop the trots) and some Buscopan (to ellieviate those terrible stomach cramps).

goo_stewart

ASC1951 said:
James, you are clearly barking mad. You will go a long way in life, if you survive this, and listening to advice will only detract from the whole experience.

So here is my 10p worth. Always assume that strangers are friendly, helpful and honest. Most people are; and to be occasionally disappointed is much easier than looking over your shoulder all the time.

Probably the best advice for life in general as well! I would second this advice, all too often, in my early touring days I was too paranoid. Now I am more relaxed and open and happy to interact with locals in any country. It has helped me a great deal.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Regarding the Rabies jab, you have maybe left it a bit late as it is usually give as a course of two or three (can't remember) over a period of about a month, although it may be possible to have it all at the same time but in four different injection sites on your body (maybe not as effective a method?), consult your travel medicine advisor.
Whether it is worth it depends how much cycling you will actually be doing in Morocco? (and how confident you are that you can outpace any rabid looking dogs that may set off after you!)
I had the injections years ago and had a booster in 2007 before a trip to China, and think it is probably worth it, others may disagree. It does not provide total immunity, you still need to get medical attention after any bite and get treated for exposure to Rabies (more injections) but it is supposed to buy you some time to get to a decent medical facility.
Good luck with your trip.

samid

Guru
james.rh said:
obviously i have the basic essentials- tent, stove, ect. i was just hoping more experiened riders would point out smaller things that i will find useful but may not have thought of.
If you haven't already done so, browse the relevant topics here and on CTC forums, especially topics with "light" in subject. And the "top touring tips" topic here :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
two small items

1. Have sufficient information to hand to steer your way through a pharmacy in French and Spanish (unless, that is, you speak the languages)
2. Don't assume too much on the weather front. I've been sufficiently cold and wet in Spain in July to wet myself and not care about it.

MichaelM

Guru
james.rh said:
..... carrying the minimum ammont possible- about 5kg.....

james.rh said:
obviously i have the basic essentials- tent, stove, ect.

After the first post, I sort of assumed you'd be using B&B's. With good quality lw tent stove & sleeping bag you're probably over half your intended limit allready.

Enjoy the trip though.

I am clearly old and risk averse.

Just one question: What about your tools/puncture repair kit/spare spokes/cassette remover tool/spare cables/chain tool etc etc. Of all my touring kit, that's the bit that weighs the most, and you've not mentioned it.

Good on you and good luck

RedBike

andym said:
Hi

You might want to look at this blog

http://pompinos.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to the beginning for the stuff about what stuff they took. Note they rode singlespeed.

I did ask him 'how did you manage to reach a top speed of 73 km/h on a fixed bike - weren't your feet going round rather fast?' and he pointed out that they did the ride on singlespeeds rather than fixed. I'd have thought that one of the issues with a fixed, apart from the obvious one of getting up long hills, would be the issue of getting down them again. So, apart from anything else, and at risk of sounding like your Dad, make sure you have front and rear brakes.

I'd also take a nice big spare sprocket so that you've got a bail out option.

Good luck.

samid

You're right, but weren't you 18 ever? ;-)

Nooooooo!!!
I had just decided that it wasn't possible to use a Pomino as a touring bike; I was going to call into the LBS on Friday to look for some way of getting my rack onto my MTB. Now i'm going to be planning a single speed tour!

I will be taking much more than 5kg though. The last time I went I took 4 panniers and towed a trailer. I still forgot loads of stuff. Tin opener, insect repellent, tyre levers, pillow, dry bags to name just a few!

Top Bottom