London Midland - Folder Restrictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Bromptonaut said:
Thanks for the further comments. Most of LM's barrier staff are great (thanks Bob & Howard) and so far it's only one who's raised the issue at Northampton. There's a "meet the managers" session @ Euston next Tuesday so I think I'll give that a try majoring on manual handling. The HSE website has a couple of useful publications which suggest carrying a Brompton 300m including stairs runs up several red flags.

The old SRA policy on cycling (which has been adopted as Gov Policy) requires that folding bikes be allowed on all trains withoiut restriction. Passing a "test" to carry the folded B all round the Wrekin seems a pretty stiff restriction to me!!

Well, another answer today. Seems they've now returned to the line that fold at the door only applies at MK. The full text is as follows:-

I write following your e-mail on the 8th September about the issues
surrounding folding bikes at our stations.

I have been passed this case and have looked through all of the
correspondence which has been sent. I would like to start by clarifying a
point about Northampton station, the folding of bikes is not a requirement
at Northampton station. The only station that we ask this to be adhered to
is at Milton Keynes.

There are posters at Milton Keynes advertising the request for passengers
to keep their folding bikes folded until they are off the station. This
request has been made for safety reasons due to the size of the platforms
and that the platform areas are reduced because of works taking place. This
is the reason that we do not allow full size bikes on the station, or on
the trains.

We have to expect our passengers to be aware of their limitations in terms
of the luggage which they have with them and to only have that which they
can carry. If carrying their folded bike, which once folded is classed as
luggage, from the station is not possible then this should not be taken.

London Midland are in the process of reviewing our policies and as part of
this the cycle policy for he whole company, taking in the London lines,
will be reviewed. I have passed your comments relating to this matter,
along with any others we have received, to the relevant team so that they
can be included.

The stuff about "if you cannot carry it don't bring it" obviuosly needs a vigorous challenge and the lines about restrictions on full size bikes are factually wrong. The fact that they're writing a new policy is usefull intelligence and they need pressing to consult fully and openly on this.

I think I'll still pop down and see the mangagers at Euston tomorrow in my best helpful and professional mode asking how cyclists, and folder users in particular, can involve themselves in the development of the new policy.

Can I ask any other LM customers, particulalry those affected by the shenanigins at MK, to write, attend meet the managers etc and do whatever we can to keep this company as folder friendly (or at least folder neutral) as Silverlink were!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bromtonaut

I really hate this ill-considered stuff.

Couple of thoughts, do you have the CTC in the loop on your corespondence? They may be able to help/add support.
Have you flagged this up on other cycling fora for support, Bike Radar/YACF etc?

I wish you well in your fight.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
All sounds like a right pain but you're ahead of me in terms of taking your bike at all. My local train company, National Express, won't allow my trike at all, despite the fact I ride a trike because of a disability which means I can't ride a normal bicycle. Having read their terms & conditions they don't allow tandems either - I have this mental image of happy couples going tandem touring by train... but not with National Express East Anglia.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Ask them whether their 'If you can't carry it, you can't take it' policy applies to shopping trolleys used by pensioners ...

Otto

Makes my blood boil..I can take my folder yet I cant take my normal bike which takes up less room than the folded folder. Yet I have seen people getting on my train with. Windsurfers, surfboards, ironing boards,Ladders, a Double Bass and a Cello, and a enormous roof rack for a 4x4 that literaly reached from floor to ceiling!

alicat

Legendary Member
Our LM trains let you on with any bike. But it's the Cross City line, and there's plenty of space.

Actually, User, the newly liveried trains on the cross city line no longer have any cycle space. They are badged for wheelchair users only.

I have been meaning to take this up but have been preoccupied by notices from the station staff at Lichfield threatening to report me to British Transport Police for locking my bike to the stairwell railings when the 12-space cycle rack is full!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Ben Lovejoy said:
Ask them whether their 'If you can't carry it, you can't take it' policy applies to shopping trolleys used by pensioners ...
I've never seen pensioners taking shopping trolleys! Does this happen?

Fortunately I have my special authorisation for one journey this Sunday but it still winds me up. I was even told that if I were in a wheelchair (which I'm not) and it was more than a metre wide I wouldn't be allowed that either!

alicat

Legendary Member
User

At the risk of hijacking this thread, it may be just the badge but it gives me zero bargaining power if someone is sitting in this space and doesn't want to move. I don't fancy an argument at peak times with no cycle sign to back me up.

OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
User,

My problem is on the ex Silverlink County line (Euston to Northampton) rather than round Brum. You're quite right about the website though.

I got to the meet the managers session this morning and was informed that, contrary to the advice form customer services there is a fold at the door policy at all stations. What I was told about the origin of this takes my breath away (in terms of how a few individuals with bees in their bonnets and access to the ears of directors can bugger things up for everybody). I'll post more fully when I've formed my ideas into something rational!!

domd1979

Veteran
Does it involve the RMT union mafia perchance....?

Bromptonaut said:
User,

My problem is on the ex Silverlink County line (Euston to Northampton) rather than round Brum. You're quite right about the website though.

I got to the meet the managers session this morning and was informed that, contrary to the advice form customer services there is a fold at the door policy at all stations. What I was told about the origin of this takes my breath away (in terms of how a few individuals with bees in their bonnets and access to the ears of directors can bugger things up for everybody). I'll post more fully when I've formed my ideas into something rational!!

OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Something of a result here.

Had another confrontation with barrier man last week after the MK "we know you're in a hurry" posters appeared at Northampton and on other stations between there and Euston. Insisted that folder users folded while cheerfully admitting full size bikes to the platforms. Quick call to LM customer servces elicited response that the fold at the door policy was being reviewed after customer feedback. I know Dave Holladay (CTC/Custfold) wrote to their Comms Team and others, including myself, gave chapter and verse on why folded ws more trouble than wheeled.

Anyway, today I get the following text from LM cust Services:-

Dear Sir

I am writing to you, as promised, once the issue surrounding the folding
bikes at the stations had been reviewed. This review has taken place and I
have had correspondence with the retail manager and the commercial director
relating to this matter.

As you are aware, the requests asking people to keep their bicycles folded
came from complaints and requests made at a rail user's group meeting,
where the experiences were that passengers with folding bikes were
unfolding them in a way that caused inconvenience and possible safety
issues. As a result of this the requests to keep bikes folded were made at
the stations from Northampton to Euston.

As with all changes made the situation was monitored, taking into
consideration the feedback we received from our customers and the staff at
the stations. Following this period of monitoring it has been found that
this is not the most appropriate response to this issue and the review was
actioned.

Therefore, we are no longer requesting that customers keep their bikes
folded whilst on the stations. We are, however, requesting that people act
in a reasonable and responsible manner towards one another when using our
services. By this we mean that if you are unfolding your bike it is done
when it will not cause obstruction to other passengers and waiting until
the stairs are clear of the majority of passengers before climbing or
descending.

We will then be observing the customers who do use folding bikes to see
that this happens and where people do not act responsibly we will speak to
the individual passengers involved.

I would like to thank you for comments relating to this matte, they proved
an invaluable tool in assisting us with this review and I hope that this
will now offer some clarity on the situation at our stations involving
folding bikes.

If you have any further queries then please let me know.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Relations Supervisor

London Midland, P O Box 4323, Birmingham, B2 4QT

So, take care but wheel you bike at will!!!

Top Bottom