London riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I could be wrong but isn't that type of approach called restorative justice? I've heard of a similar approach being used when violent criminals have a supervised conversation with their victims as part of their rehab during time in prison. I think it would definitely be worth a try on the younger kids.

There is, but I think it tends to happen after sentencing. I'm think of it as a sort of sentencing guide - a clue as to which offenders are the most redeemable.

I doubt it's an easy option - you need trained staff, time etc. But the alternative seems to be do nothing, or impose penalties that many offenders think are a joke, or lock them all up, also at immense expense.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The cost would be offset by the savings created by the filtering process which would be an excellent proposal Arch.... one that should be "commended to the House", asap!

Would have to be very hard-hitting though as an extreme shock tactic to really get through to the worst of the smirking, 'simian-strolling' offenders.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
There is, but I think it tends to happen after sentencing. I'm think of it as a sort of sentencing guide - a clue as to which offenders are the most redeemable.

I doubt it's an easy option - you need trained staff, time etc. But the alternative seems to be do nothing, or impose penalties that many offenders think are a joke, or lock them all up, also at immense expense.

If they dug there own Oubliettes there would be no cost at all :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
The cost would be offset by the savings created by the filtering process which would be an excellent proposal Arch.... one that should be "commended to the House", asap!

Would have to be very hard-hitting though as an extreme shock tactic to really get through to the worst of the smirking, 'simian-strolling' offenders.

Well, you'd order the films in order to filter out the most penitent first, and gradually pile on the agony.

I'm sure there are some who simply would never care. Those people, we could do without, there are plenty of people in the world.

Glancing sideways slightly, I have just opened yesterday's Guardian G2 for a Quick Look before I tackle the Quick Crossword and, on Page 9 I noticed this text...from an article by Zoe Williams on the psychology of looting.

29vyotg.jpg

and then later in the G2 supplement, P 15.

11blsu0.jpg

leading to a selection on Page 16.

14vn47q.jpg

£595 YSL ysl.com - 'a classic chelsea boot with a macho camo twist... '
Once again, I seem to be having my nose rubbed in stuff I can't afford! :smile:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
No sandals!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've been shouting at the radio every time he's been on it tonight, blethering on about how he sees himself as the "leader of a new moral army", for f**k's sake. Well, "Dave", instead of inventing ridiculous titles for yourself and banging on about how the police will sort everything out, how about maybe acknowledging that cutting millions of hundreds of pounds from the police budget may not be quite the great idea it first appeared to be?
+1

And why is he offering Water Cannons to the police, when the Police don't see the need for them yet:
Sir Hugh Orde, the president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, said he did not think that water cannon would prove necessary because they are used to dealing with fixed crowds, not fast-moving groups.

"If the situation develops where we would need to use water cannon, I would have no hesitation in seeking support from the chief constable of Northern Ireland to deploy them. I don't see it as necessary, and nor do the 43 chiefs I spoke to this morning."
http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Police-may-blast-rioters-off.6816525.jp

Top Bottom