London route advice, LB to Lewisham the long way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leoc

Hi,

As the evenings are light now, I was hoping for a bit of route advice. I normally commmute Lewisham to London Bridge (approx 6 miles), and I was hoping that someone could recommend a pleasant longer way home ride? Something 15-20 miles would be ideal I think ;)

Thanks,
Leo

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Hi leoc
What route do you use at present?

I'm finding it hard to find longer more pleasant rides in the South East too.

My suggestion for your run home might be to cross north on London Bridge, then work East to Docklands a couple of laps of Canary Warf and go South to Island Gardens and go South again thru the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.

OP
OP
leoc

leoc

Currently Tooley St, Jamaica Road, Lower Road, Evelyn St. I like the idea of going Canary Wharf way, will give it a try cheers.

Molecule Man

Of course it depends how fast you want to go.
The Rotherhithe peninsula is good for a gentle detour, some of the off-road cycle paths through the woodlands are quite acceptable, or you can follow the Thames path most of the way.

You could go further east north of the river and cross by the Woolwich tunnel or by the ferry (not sure when that stops, maybe 20:00?).

Out to Greenwich, then a bit of hill training up Maze Hill or Croom's Hill, then back over Blackheath?

How about heading south through Camberwell to Dulwich and/or Sydenham? There's some nice little back roads around Dulwich, though I don't know what the main roads are like around rush hour.

walker

Why not go along the lower road, through charlton all the way to Plumstead/Welling, then head back up an over Shooters hill into Lewsiham?

jely

fabulous... Leoc, you just asked the question i've been pondering over for the past week but never got around to asking. haha. perfect!

OP
OP
leoc

leoc

@ Walker - Cool, thanks for the advice. I think I'll try riding through Charlton and back via Shooters Hill. Any roads to watch out for, etc. looks like I'd be taking in some A roads, or is it better to follow a less direct route?

@ Molecule Man - Greenwich route sounds nice thanks, I keep meaning to ride more near there

@ Jely - you commute Lewisham LB too?

walker

just stick to the raod going from greenwich/maze hill all the way to woolwich from there either go up towards charlton or go through plumstead to abbeywood and then into welling, up and over shooters hill back home. I would give you road names but I don't really know any, I just ride them

Wobbles

I have to ride Lewisham to Soho but find it's not long enough and too flat.

For about a 14 mile ride in I go up to Ladywell, Forest Hill, Crystal Palace, College Road down to Dulwich and then Herne Hill, Brixton, Oval etc.
That way you get a nice brisk climb and it's fairly uncluttered as open road and buslanes most of the way.

For a 26 miler you can go out to Grove Park, Bickley, Keston West Wickham, Elmers end then up to Crystal Palace and in from there. A few good climbs. Takes about an hour and a half.

Good luck.

jely

well, to be honest, i usually walk to work and run home the same route you take (although i'm just before lewisham) ... but like you said, now it's getting lighter if I ride I can detour and ride for longer and feel like i've done the same amount of exercise ... also i needed some suggestions for the weekends too cause i've only just bought my bike and really had no idea where to go.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
If you go out of Lewisham thru Catford and Bromley you can get out to Biggin Hill which has lots of hilly bits and you are out into countryside in less than an hour and if you're feeling adventurous you can then go straight on to the South Downs & Brighton.

Top Bottom