[London] route bakers arms -> old street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Many years ago I lived in Leytonstone and commuted from there via Eastway past the north side of Victoria Park and down Hackney Road. But that was in the days before all the Olympic work started, and traffic flows have probably changed since then

Week after next I move back out of zone 1 and into the 'stow - not far from Baker's Arms - so, (1) wondering what my best options are these days for getting across the Lea or Lee, and (2) whether there are easy and obvious ways to extend the commute home into a nice evening ride on sunny summer days

subaqua

What’s the point
Many years ago I lived in Leytonstone and commuted from there via Eastway past the north side of Victoria Park and down Hackney Road. But that was in the days before all the Olympic work started, and traffic flows have probably changed since then

Week after next I move back out of zone 1 and into the 'stow - not far from Baker's Arms - so, (1) wondering what my best options are these days for getting across the Lea or Lee, and (2) whether there are easy and obvious ways to extend the commute home into a nice evening ride on sunny summer days

Eastway route isn't too bad in all reality, especially if you are a seasoned cyclist/commuter.

Thru Hackney Wick, Vicky Park and Bishop's Road, did it for 8 years, the towpath speeders made me fed up so I used the road. Lovely ride.

Eastway is fine, nice wide lanes (when road works go) - there a few pot-holes to watch out for but that's everywhere! The worst bit is the horribly dangerous cycle lane on Warren Road one-way but stick to primary and you're fine.

subaqua

What’s the point
Not sure if like is the word but from bakers arms warren road shouldn't be in the equation. the cycle route that spills you nout at the nissan garage at oliver road would be the solution.

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Disengaged member
Thanks all, first commute in from the new place was this morning. I followed a sign from Lea Bridge Road that said 'Leytonstone (quiet route)' down Manor Rd and Grange Park Rd, then Church St, Oliver St, and onto A106 from there. It looks like the bike path along the parallel-with-A12 stretch is under cones right now, but traffic in the remaining lane was going at about my speed anyway so no problem with dodgy overtakes (at least, not just there)

Got into work considerably more alert than had I walked in from Bethnal Green (old house), but I have enough of a head cold right now that I'd rather just teleport home than ride if the option was available, mind you

Top Bottom