London section Grand Union canal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Help please Londoners! I love you all really and will never again make reference to London being a toilet while sitting in my tranquil Scottish seaside resort that has seen better days :smile:.

Grovelling over, I am just wondering if cycling the Grand Union canal into town (well, Kew Gardens is where it takes you to, I believe) is a realistic proposition. I'm in the area but going home Friday, and looking for a wee excursion tomorrow on my bike (road bike but not precious about it). I would be looking to start at West Drayton station.

Oh, and speaking of toilets (!!), are the public ones open in town? It's a semi serious question from one with a bladder capacity of about 2 hours. Being stuck in a city with no toilets or bushes is no fun 😄.
McDonalds counts as facilities, and there are plenty of them in London, from memory. Otherwise it's a swim in The Serpentine :sad:.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It doesn’t take you to Kew, it ends in Brentford where it meets the Thames, if you want to go to Kew you’ll have to then follow the Thames. I’m sure you can find quiet places where you can answer the call of nature.
Good luck with the trip, sounds like fun.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
It doesn’t take you to Kew, it ends in Brentford where it meets the Thames, if you want to go to Kew you’ll have to then follow the Thames. I’m sure you can find quiet places where you can answer the call of nature.
Good luck with the trip, sounds like fun.
I took the easy option and cycled up from Windsor to Slough, GWR train into Paddington (took about 15 minutes, great service). Had a ride about central London and lunch at The Jamaican Patty Shop near Covent Garden. Didn't want to kick the arse out of it too much with regards using the train for a non essential journey, so got out of town again while it was still quiet, the 3.20 train. All was good and bladder held up until I was on the train :okay:. Back up the highways and bye ways tomorrow, hope it is as quiet and trouble free as Monday's journey south was. The Grand Union Canal can wait for another time.

Top Bottom