London to Brighton BHF run.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

I'm hopefully going to be doing the BHF london to brighton run this year (June 15th), provided i get a spot, anyone else planning on doing it?

If all goes to plan I will be doing it on a fixie, while my brother borrows my roadie... but if he wimps out, i'll get on the roadie myself.

Andrew

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'll probably be there for what will be somethink like my 14th or 15th time since 1983!
I've done it numerous times on a fixie, it's no big deal. Get an early start and prepare for a long day of fun rather than a day for PB's.

Mortiroloboy

I did it for the first and last time in 2007, it was an experience, in modern parlance ' a tick in the box' but for reasons previously stated last year, I won't do it again. I did raise plenty of money for BHF, but IMHO the event is too big.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
User259iroloboy said:
I did it for the first and last time in 2007, it was an experience, in modern parlance ' a tick in the box' but for reasons previously stated last year, I won't do it again. I did raise plenty of money for BHF, but IMHO the event is too big.

Totally agree. I did it about twelve years back. I didn't enjoy it . IMHO there are too many people who only cycle once or twice a year on events like this. They get to the smallest of hills and then stop in the middle of the road and get off and push causing congestion behind them. I got stuck in a sea of bikes just off of the common for 40 mins and again in a village in Surrey and again fo nearly an hour in Turners Hill. Ditchling Beacon was just a mass of people pushing their bikes all over the road. It was impossible to cycle up. Thats why I suggest an early start to beat the crowds. I started that year at 7.00. It was too late by then. There are many better rides, see the bike events website.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
For me it's the sea of rank-amateurs who've dusted down the old bike in the shed to give it a go that keeps me doing it again year after year. There's nothing like it anywhere else! There are plenty of bike rides where you can ride around with a few thousand others, but there's nothing quite like the L2B.
If you want a free-ish passage, start early, otherwise, enjoy the carnival, give encouragement to others and make a day of it.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Never again.

New collective name; "A nightmare of numpties". No experience and handling skills.

Trying to get past two characters in front and they suddenly stopped in the middle of the road and started to walk to the edge, nearly flooring me. My protest in the form of "Dick head" was answered with, "You proper cylists want to get a life".

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

well I wasn't exaclty expecting a properly organised pellaton all the way to Brighton. I'm taking my brother, and I would imagine there are lots of other people like my brother there. keen, but not very practiced.

As far as I'm aware it's not a race. so who really cares if you get held up a bit at the bottom of the hills? gives you an excuse not to try so hard...

Best bit i reckon is that of the 30,000 or so entrants, surely 100 of them will catch the cycling bug and start doing it on a more regular basis.

This will be my first ever organised run as I've only been cycling properly now for 18 months and all my riding/traing has been done on my own in the back-lanes of suffolk. so to some of you, i would be the dick head i guess.

Looking forward to it, and then looking forward to london - paris next year.

cheers all, and if you're going, enjoy!

dudi said:
well I wasn't exaclty expecting a properly organised pellaton all the way to Brighton. I'm taking my brother, and I would imagine there are lots of other people like my brother there. keen, but not very practiced.

As far as I'm aware it's not a race. so who really cares if you get held up a bit at the bottom of the hills? gives you an excuse not to try so hard...

Best bit i reckon is that of the 30,000 or so entrants, surely 100 of them will catch the cycling bug and start doing it on a more regular basis.

This will be my first ever organised run as I've only been cycling properly now for 18 months and all my riding/traing has been done on my own in the back-lanes of suffolk. so to some of you, i would be the dick head i guess.

Looking forward to it, and then looking forward to london - paris next year.

cheers all, and if you're going, enjoy!

good luck with the ride. you have the right attitude to enjoy the ride. kick back and have fun, chat with other riders and make a day of it.

Saddle bum

Über Member
SamNichols said:
Don't call them 'dick heads' they're new to the sport and that sort of insult only puts people off - hence their retort.

They weren't newcomers to the sport, they were numpties on their Halfords bought the day before and anyone who does something so blatently stupid is a "Dickhead".

SamNichols

We're all numpties when we're new. I've done some very numptyish things on my bike, especially when I was new. One of them involved getting hit by a car. It is a charity ride, with 30,000 people, it isn't going to go at a high pace, and it isn't going to get only club riders. If you want one of them, then go on a Sportive, or do an Audax.
The people are trying to do something positive and are met with scorn by more experienced riders. It is sometimes a wonder that people even join our ranks when we shoot ourselves in the foot by calling people dickheads when they make a mistake.

Top Bottom