FNRttC London to Brighton, June 8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I got home at 09:05 as the train gods smiled on me. Thus the lovely Helen was very pleased with me all day (until I fell asleep, mid-sentence, at the dinner table at 01:15 am on Sunday morning).

I evangelised to two cyclists on the Gatwick - Portsmouth train and they set to googling so we may get a new recruit.

I cannot put my finger on precisely why but that was the most epically splendid, most perfect, most euphoricly trippy FNRttC since my first one (1st Whitstable).

I only had to think "Nigel has missed out on a cracking ride" when blow me @Shadow hove into view coming the other way!

hatler

Guru
Is this a positive? I completely agree about warmth and tail wind, but half the point of a night ride seems to me to be darkness, and I usually find myself wishing the dark would last for the whole ride.
Fair point about the amount of darkness though. I almost feel cheated if the sun is already up when we crest the Beacon. Some of the most magical FNRttC moments have been when the sun comes up when we are atop a hill.

but half the point of a night ride seems to me to be darkness, and I usually find myself wishing the dark would last for the whole ride.
One of the (many) joys of FNRs is the dark...and the light. More pertinently, the variations thereof. Starting in the never very dark due to urban lighting, moving thru the burbs, to the darkness of the rural. It is thus ever changing.
Last friday, as it is june, there was very little darkness. Conversely, in march or october, there is not a huge amount of light. For me, either way, the joy of seeing the sun come up is wonderful, regardless of the time.
And this contributes to the feeling of every ride being different, no matter how many times a specific ride may be ridden.

I only had to think "Nigel has missed out on a cracking ride" when blow me @Shadow hove into view coming the other way!
I only missed half a cracking ride! Through my own idiotic stupidity. Leaving plenty of time to ride to the station, I dawdled. And saw the train pull out of the station as I was climbing the platform stairs. After riding home and consulting the map and then receiving kind permission from Our Leader to join mid-ride, I rode solo for nearly 2 hours to rendezvous atop Turners Hill at 4.30. I was unsure if the slight light in the grey, cloudy sky was a haze from Gatwick or Crawley, or, maybe just the pre-dawn.
The stretch between Handcross and Turners Hill along the top of Weald was enjoyable. But not as enjoyable as grinding up Farthing Down and the camaraderie of FNR folk. The second half of the ride was as good as all those above have mentioned.
And my version of a SMRbH was bliss - the quickest and most effortless I believe. All due to the lovely tailwind remarked upon by @StuAff and as noted by @hatler, enough to make one think, at least temporarily, one is a cycling god! Chapeau Stu on your no train policy.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Such a contrast with the Bognor ride
There was no contrast on the Bognor ride, uniform grey at that stage, grey with grey gravel for a bit of texture on the descent. ;)

rockpig

Über Member
This was my 3rd FNR and my 2nd to Brighton.
I've started to recognise a few regulars now and love the mix of being able to chat or ride alone knowing that I'm not going to miss a turn (unless @Flying Dodo misses it too). The route out of London was really good, climbing up Farthing Down in the dark with no idea how much farther to the top was surreal.
The advice of @GrumpyGregry to "get rid of any distractions" before Ditchling Beacon was very helpful and I'll admit I did feel a real sense of achievement when I got to the top.
At Brighton Pier I turned right and headed off to Worthing to meet friends for breakfast so I missed the last bit to the marina but it sounds like the breakfasts were good.
Thanks to everyone involved in making these rides so special. Special thanks to @GrumpyGregry for the chat and encouragement at the half way stop.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This was my 3rd FNR and my 2nd to Brighton.
I've started to recognise a few regulars now and love the mix of being able to chat or ride alone knowing that I'm not going to miss a turn (unless @Flying Dodo misses it too). The route out of London was really good, climbing up Farthing Down in the dark with no idea how much farther to the top was surreal.
The advice of @GrumpyGregry to "get rid of any distractions" before Ditchling Beacon was very helpful and I'll admit I did feel a real sense of achievement when I got to the top.
At Brighton Pier I turned right and headed off to Worthing to meet friends for breakfast so I missed the last bit to the marina but it sounds like the breakfasts were good.
Thanks to everyone involved in making these rides so special. Special thanks to @GrumpyGregry for the chat and encouragement at the half way stop.

You're very welcome, I was glad of the company at the Edifice, and you are entitled to grin from ear to ear having nailed the Col Du Ditchling.

I did once ?on the Martlett's ride? wait until the top to get rid of my distractions... by upchucking all over my bike. :sad:

Not recommended.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not pleasant for you or anyone in the immediate vicinity I imagine.
but I beat the woman on the three speed shopping bike, with a basket full of flowers, to the top and that's what matters!

I'd been ill for weeks before that ride and having stood on Slugwash Lane all night I should have gone straight home but one of the last riders through was my next-door-neighbour, and I had to give chase.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Has anyone else experienced this. I put a new front tyre on for this ride. Bearing in mind we rode through that fresh laid tarmac. Haven't ridden that bike since but today it spent an hour in the back of my car in outside temps of 22 degrees. As soon as I got it out I rode it just half a mile but there was a squeak from the front wheel which got a bit louder when I wiggled the bars. It had all but gone after half a mile.

?

Top Bottom