London to Brighton Sunday 19th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Full-on time trial bikes? FFS! This event needs some serious subversion next year.
We did our best ....

image.jpeg

Others did too ...

image.jpeg

And some forrenners in strange traditional dress ....

image.jpeg

We did our best to dilute the Lycra and add some 'panache' ..... The full story of our day requires a keyboard ....

image.jpeg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm quite happy with a PB up the Beacon, and a good time from London the the finish due to getting away early and avoiding the crush!
There seemed to be fewer early riders, but it was mega busy at Turners Hill as we rode back to London.
Maybe more riders got later starts this time around?

Tim Hall

I'm quite happy with a PB up the Beacon, and a good time from London the the finish due to getting away early and avoiding the crush!
There seemed to be fewer early riders, but it was mega busy at Turners Hill as we rode back to London.
Maybe more riders got later starts this time around?
"PB", "good time"? It ain't a race. (Of course your "PB and "good time" may be stateley and serene progress).

Fab Foodie

Local press, in an article about road closures, was talking about 14000 compared to 28000 for 2014. At a guess it sounds like BHF have put a cap on entries.
That doesn't surprise me, notably different and better time was made .... Not that we were in any way rushing but there just wasn't the regular log jams of earlier years.

Fab Foodie

Love that,this is what it should be like and not full of posers.
I wouldn't say it was BIG on posers, there were a few. But, I would say for a very large number, 54 lumpy miles on a hot day was still a good effort. Riders of all ages, shapes and sizes and more ethnically diverse than earlier years too. What differs is that most people have a half decent bicycle and kit nowadays rather than dusting off an old rusty bike, wearing any kinds of shorts and a T Shirt and sallying forth.

There was once again a lot of expensive carbon being pushed up relatively mild hills and a lot of surprise when my mate on his rusty single gear folder flew by whether up hill or down dale.
I was more sedate .....

PeteXXX

"PB", "good time"? It ain't a race. (Of course your "PB and "good time" may be stateley and serene progress).
I don't do 'racing', it's that this year we got away before it got too busy so could just ride the ride without having to stop at the pinch points, and my Ditchling PB was for me to be personally pleased with. A sedate, but probably not stately, 8.3 mph with no stops for a breather, was good for me.
At Brighton, I was on about 15 mph average,(as opposed to 12 or 13 in previous years) but by the time we'd ridden back to Clapham, my finishing average was just over 14 mph.
I actually didn't see that many folk racing yesterday, though there were some club riders zipping along at a fair pace, forming Trains and leading out, yada yada yada.

Tim Hall

I don't do 'racing', it's that this year we got away before it got too busy so could just ride the ride without having to stop at the pinch points, and my Ditchling PB was for me to be personally pleased with. A sedate, but probably not stately, 8.3 mph with no stops for a breather, was good for me.
At Brighton, I was on about 15 mph average,(as opposed to 12 or 13 in previous years) but by the time we'd ridden back to Clapham, my finishing average was just over 14 mph.
I actually didn't see that many folk racing yesterday, though there were some club riders zipping along at a fair pace, forming Trains and leading out, yada yada yada.
Sorry Pete, my earlier reply was a bit snippy and bad mannered. Glad you had a good day.

PeteXXX

Sorry Pete, my earlier reply was a bit snippy and bad mannered. Glad you had a good day.
None taken, and I did, thank you.
I have one more L2B to do now and, be assured it will be slow and stately, as No 1 daughter wants me to support her on her ride. :okay:

Top Bottom