England : East Sussex London to Brighton Veteran Cars Run, Sunday 5 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Weather looking far more clement than previous years. I will either:
  • drive to Three Bridges and park then join the ride and get the train back to Three Bridges, or
  • meet cousins at Redhill and ride down with them from there before turning back after a small distance and a big lunch, to judge from our performance in previous years.
To add - to any waverers, this really is a lot of fun and sometimes hilarious to see these contraptions and think their distant descendants now think they rule the roads. We cyclists know, of course, that the car as a form of transport will never catch on.

Nigel, the route map can be found here
Thanks for that
thinking that provisional Cake Stop may be near Cuckfield will Google Earth it then recce at the weekend and keep all on here informed.

Tim Hall

There are replacement buses, and this isn't the kind of ride I'd want to do on the Brompton! I'll look at meeting the ride somewhere along the way I think.
Will the replacement buses affect my getting home northwards from Brighton after the ride, or are they on the coastal route?

Tim Hall

I think they will affect routes north, yes. National Rail has a warning, but the little bus symbol does look confusingly like a train, which might be why you missed it?
I'm not seeing that. There's a train icon in the "travel by" column. There is a bus icon in the righthand column which means "Plusbus" ticketing is available.

Tim Hall

Is there not a triangle with an exclamation mark in it? I must look again, perhaps they have changed their minds.
There is if I choose a starting point west of Brighton, such as Portslade, as it's that line with the weekend closure. Brighton northwards looks ok.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well I'd like to book a train ticket for this, but there's no way I am going to get to Victoria in time for a 7am start, so I don't know if I'll bother.
Dear old Southern and their weekend engineering works. If I go I have to ride both ways as it's a bus between Brighton and Barnham or Littlehampton....

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Estimated times at places mentioned.
Westminster Bridge 7:15
Clapham common south corner 7:40
Banstead 8:30
Redhill 9:15
Crawley 10:10

Will these times be when you expect to be there yourself or just a rough guide? Will it be a meeting place in reach place or just wait by the roadside and join in when you see a friendly bunch come along?

Last edited:
Top Bottom