London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craig kennedy

I am a geek
Well,today I did my first London to Brighton run, and my first more than 18 mile cycle, and it was awesome. It was bloody cold when we started this morning, thought my bike was going to start falling apart with he shaking. I was not in any group, tried to tag along with a couple of groups but they kept on stopping for no reason so I just went it alone.

Apparently, compared to the one in June this one is much hillier, I don't know myself but a few who do both say it is much hillier, I made it up all the hills except the Beacon, Even Turners hill I managed without stopping or getting off which I was proud of.

The Beacon, I got up about half way, looked at the speedo to see myself cycling at 2 mph, people walking past me, so I caved and walked the remainder, except for a brief burst when I got on again, but then off again.

Set the speed camera off, like many others on the way down the other side, that was great, and not too far below 50mph which was also cool

RedRider

Pulling through
Brilliant . L2B was my first inter city ride too , o apart from Liverpool Chester many moons ago kind of broke a mental barrier. Now you've done that anything is possible!

OP
OP
craig kennedy

craig kennedy

I am a geek
yup, makes me feel more confident on doing longer runs. I still have to work on strength and stamina, but hey my legs are not sore, my arse only hurtsa tiny bit, probably saddles fault

RedRider

Pulling through
yup, makes me feel more confident on doing longer runs. I still have to work on strength and stamina, but hey my legs are not sore, my arse only hurtsa tiny bit, probably saddles fault
Yep, and a fair few hills there. Oxford, Cambridge, both within good striking distance too, with flatter routes available.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Well done.. you have truly got the cycling bug now. BHF London to Brighton was my first long ride as plucky flash 15 year old (30 years ago)....It was a complete shock when I got to Ditchling Beacon.... and had to walk all of it. I hated cycling at that point, but a glutton for punishment came back 3 times more and managed Ditchling on the fourth attempt as a 21 year old.

Well done again and keep up the good work.

OP
OP
craig kennedy

craig kennedy

I am a geek
I recon I could do with a little better gearing on the bike, been told mine is not perfect for cycling up hills, but then I also think muscle strength would help more. I did half and for me I was happy to have done that much. Turner hill was not fantastic to be honest, many walked up that, but I opted to just push my way up. I was like a stupid kid in Brighton, so pleased with myself. I am even more pleased today because other than a little shoulder pain, likely because I have still got to over reach I think, I have no other pains or aches, and to me that means I'm good for longer runs now. Woohoo

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I remember wanting to get off and walk the first time I did Ditchling Beacon. The next time you do it you'll get up it

Top Bottom